Custom Works review

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by biker, Sep 20, 2020.

1. biker

biker Veteran Member

Recently bought control arms and power steering pump/bracket/pulley/hoses from Keith at Custom Works. Very high quality stuff, everything fit as described, and Keith's customer service is second to none. Always replies to emails even when I spammed him like a crazy ex girlfriend.
    You can buy some of the same parts from his suppliers, but it isnt cheaper to do so, and what you get from Keith is the confidence that what you order will fit your car. He also knows what works for how you use the car. Not the kind of support you get from most places.

Zstar, BonzoHansen, 70Znut and 2 others like this.
  2. jvle95

jvle95 Veteran Member

I had the same experience with Keith and second your comments.

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That's good to hear as I am looking at his PS pump and brackets , they look good and the price is reasonable .

4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yes. I emailed Keith and said the only word I can thing of to describe how it works is "boring". I never liked the way the factory saginaw pump mounted using a cobbled header bolt and ancient bracketry. The pump itself pulled the idle down, was hard to adjust and was noisy. Probably needed replacement anyways, so why not go with a simpler, cleaner and more efficient setup.
    Make sure your crank pulley has a groove deep enough to line up with the pump. I had to buy a 3 groove pulley, and it lined up perfectly. Like I said, boring.

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. 70Znut

70Znut Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

^X2 - I've used Cutstom Works several time myself, Keith is great to work with.

6. Zee

Zee Veteran Member

X 3 same experience here. Looking at his upper control arms over the winter.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

"Not the kind of support you get from most places"

Who are most of these places that don't support you?

72BIGBLOCK likes this.
  8. roadrace2

roadrace2 Veteran Member

"Who are most of these places that don't support you?"

Detriot Speed :D:D:D:D

disturbing poop since 1990 :dumper:

$ Mike 70 Z-28 likes this.
  9. SPG

SPG Bumblebee Builder

lol, you might have just offended him. Thats his favorite company

badazz81z28 likes this.
  10. biker

biker Veteran Member

Having dealt with many different manufacturers or distributors over 30+ years, there has been a general decline in customer service from most manufacturers and distributors. Most are impatient on the phone, dont know the answers to what should be simple questions, or dont call back when they say they will.
    And I'm careful to have concise questions ready so as not to waste time or ask something I could figure out on my own. I dont want to name the recent ones because it could just be an employee having a bad day.

In contrast, I have a Pypes exhaust with their cutouts. Had a switch issue, guy was great on the phone, helped diagnose, then sent me two new switches in the mail. Emailed Pypes again with a sealing issue, again, guy asked lots of questions, went through cleaning procedure with me, then said he would mail me new silicone seals. And I made it clear I wasn't looking for a freebie, just guidance.

And Keith is just a nice guy with incredible knowledge of and passion for 2nd gens. Great commitment to communicating with customers too. Not easy as a busy guy.

KingofThings, Zee and Zstar like this.