Customer will not pick up truck

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 76 camaro car 1, Aug 18, 2018.

1. 76 camaro car 1

76 camaro car 1 Veteran Member

I am a retired paint and body man who now does some work from my home. A guy who owns a garage here had a customer who had a 1986 mazda PU he wanted painted. I gave the garage owner a estimate on doing the truck and he had it towed to my house to do the work. I have no idea who actually owns the truck as the garage owner I am guessing told the owner a higher price so he could make money off my work. Anyway I had the truck for several weeks and finished it on wednesday august 8. On august 9 I told them the truck was ready. They ask me if I trusted them to tow the truck back to their garage and pay me when their customer pays them. I said I would be more comfortable with the truck at my house until I get paid. I at that time asked them when their customer was going to pay for the job and have heard nothing from them since. The way I look at it since the guy who owns the garage is the one I was dealing with he should pay me.I have never had any contact with the trucks owner at all. I put out of my pocket a lot of money for materials to do the job and could really use that money back. They owe me $1800. There is no paper work other than text messages about the job. The garage owner would not give me the truck owners name so I can contact him. Is there anything I can do to get my money or am I just going to have to wait?

2. cali cruzer

cali cruzer Veteran Member

You have a deal with the shop owner.
    You did sublet work for him He owes you.

76 camaro car 1 likes this.
  3. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Yes the shop owner.

4. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

"The garage owner would not give me the truck owners name so I can contact him." Suspicious.

Check local DMV for info. But avoid using local law enforcement. If it is stolen, they will take it and you are out. Come to think of it, if it IS stolen, you will probably lose money anyway. At least you can get the guy who brought it to you.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

Shop owner owes you. When I sub work out, I owe. Wouldn't even ask them to wait till I got paid. He's probably not giving you owner's info because he marked the price up and doesn't want the owner to know what you are charging. You did the work, shouldn't have to wait to get paid. Don't think I'd deal with him again unless he pays in full in advance. Don't think you have many options. So much for trust...

6. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

Consult a lawyer. Initial consultation may be free or very low cost. Discuss filing a mechanic's lien and the implementation of $100 per day storage charges. If lawyer agrees that you have this method of action available, he can legally find the owner of the truck - the mechanic's lien and storage charge notification should get the owner of the truck to resolve this quickly.

I'm assuming that the truck (after your paint work) is worth more than $1800.00.

7. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Show up at the shop with the car and a couple big buddies and politely ask for your money or the owners name so you can collect from them. If you want to get paid quickly and without legal fees that far exceed what you are owed you will have to use intimidation tactic but dont break the law, dont make threats etc. Be prepared to haul the car back to your shop.

With little documentation of the contract agreement and so little money at stake, the court route wont really help you.

Next time get everything clearly in writing and get material money up front.

8. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

The text messages are all the documentation needed - that is a written form of communication that will pass the test.

Legal fees could be very minimal if any.

Learning if he could legally get a mechanic's lien may be all he needs to convince the shop owner to pay him immediately so no contact is made with the vehicle owner.

I'm not an attorney, but have twice talked to one on a "free consultation". The first time, the free consultation gave me all the info I needed to resolve the issue. The second, I ended up with the attorney writing a couple of letters for me - about $200.00 total fee.

9. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Also, just be sure the truck is in a secure location, so they don't come a grab it in the night, and I would file a lien, right away

10. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

You have to be careful about who's buttons you push. How are the codes enforced where you are? If the city officials find out you're making money in your shop without proper permits or licenses, they could raise a stink.

I have a cousin who's ALWAYS worked in his shop in his back yard....and makes good money doing it. It was never a problem for the last 40 years, until recently. City has been out numerous times nosing around because he's had a couple of vehicles sit for a few days that weren't his. They know he doesn't have a business license and told him to not let them find out he's working for money out there.

On the flip side, you can certainly charge storage and maybe even put a lien on the truck...but not sure how it would hold up in court without being a business. I'm sure this will vary per municipality, county and/or state.