cuting my coils to drop front end

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by mcmurphy2121, Mar 2, 2012.

1. mcmurphy2121

mcmurphy2121 New Member

I want to give my 79 z28 a mosre aggressive muscle look by dropping the front end and lifting the back can anyone help me on this one I need full details thanks brothas

2. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Depending on what you have hanging on the bottom of your Z will dictate how low you can go.I have a 78z same as yours, w/headers & pipes that Ive already scraped on the higher speed bumps and this is with a slightly saging stock suspenion.I just ordered front springs with a 1in. drop.Thats all Im going to lower it.Go to some of the post about 2 weeks ago about cutting coil springs, good info. their.Also why would you want to raise the rear end,maybe to use the front air dam as a snow plow? Lots of snow up their I hear.Sorry I just couldnt help my self, I just had to add that in.....

3. The Champ

The Champ Veteran Member

FWIW - A general rule of thumb is cutting 1 coil equals a 2" drop.

But that is a "general" rule - no guarantees.

Once you lower the front, the rear will look higher (and the back bumper will be higher).

The rear can also be "raised" just by using taller tires.

This is our car with 2" drop Eibach lowering coils in the front, the origial rear springs and 27" tall rear tires.

[​IMG]

4. Todd37604

Todd37604 New Member

my header's and pipes have hit everything from the curb at the end of my drive way, to the speed bumps in the bank parking lot. Sometimes it's a pain to not be able to go certain places but hey it's the price we pay for being die hard camaro lover's!

ps, going over a hill at top speed's tends to bottom out quite a bit when you cut coils.. lol bad experience.

5. DMSTAINLESS

DMSTAINLESS Veteran Member

Best bet is not the easiest, but to start with fresh springs, then remove and cut 1/4 of a loop, reinstall and chk ride height, and repeat till u get where u want. Cut with cut off wheel not a torch.
    Easy peezy
    Good luck

6. twood

twood Veteran Member

Just saw this on Car Warriors... They had a early 70s Camaro.The one team cut one coil right away without doing it in stages. It was a disaster. When they did a burn out, the front end dropped down so much the front tires were doing their own burn out against the inner fenders ect...

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

I wouldn't suggest cutting old springs. The rate wasn't high enough on them to begin with.
    Pick a ride height (as measured from spindle center to fender lip), and I can probably suggest a low-cost Moog replacement spring.

8. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

^ +1

New springs and no cutting would be an inexpensive way to get what you want.