Cutting Roof off

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 81LM1, Jan 13, 2021.

1. 81LM1

81LM1 New Member

I'm looking at buying a complete hardtop roof off a donor car as my car has aftermarket T-tops and want to go back to a hardtop roof,

I will cut the roof off at the bottom of the A-pillars and bottom of the sail panel,

I was thinking before I cut the roof off, to put some X bracing so the roof does not warp, what kind of bracing would you guys suggest to use?

Square tubing? Angle Iron?

2. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Sounds like a shame to me.:( If I had t-tops, i'd love them! Was the car not t-topped originally or something?

3. 81LM1

81LM1 New Member

yea Aftermarket Junk, I'm sick of the rattling and leaks

4. slayer021175666

slayer021175666 Veteran Member

Ahh. Carry on, my friend. T-Top cars flex pretty bad too if you have much power. People have to subframe connect them and roll cage them.

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

The donor... cut where you plan.

On your current T-top car...
    I would separate the rear at the body seam by the upper corners of the side windows back to the rear window and leave the sail panel areas intact.

Once you have the donor roof off the car, you will see where that seam is located.

6. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The TA depot has done this...look for the episode to give you an idea on how to do it.

bondora68 likes this.
  7. rotinrob

rotinrob Member

I use 1" square tubing for bracing. Bracing the donor roof is probably not needed, maybe enough to keep the A-pillars from moving. The keeper body though needs to be parked where it won't need to be moved until after surgery, supported by at least 8 points and leveled. You can use the wheels or hubs as 4 of the supports but you need to keep the car from bowing in the center. Make sure the doors are aligned well and leave them on. If the subframe is still on leave the fenders on and aligned properly. This will let you know if the car moved during surgery. Build a triangulated box brace inside the car before the first cut. As twisted said use the factory seam at the top of the sail panel. Depending on install of the T-Tops and how much of the inner structure was removed you might consider just patching the inner and replacing the roof skin, this would keep the car stiffer during the work. Good luck but shouldn't be too tough.

rotin

8. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Some of the aftermarket t-tops I've seen are absolutely hideous. I know stockers have their drawbacks, but they look way better than a/m.

9. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

Ive done this multiple times. There is different approaches you can take. The back quarter roof seam is spot welded and lead filled. When you remove the roof off the poor donor car cut way below that area and remove the section on that first which will give you an idea of what you need to do on yours. You will need to add more bracing than you think as it tweaks. I've had one tweak that had a full cage just a bit which i caught early, that surprised me quite a bit.