Damaged Aluminum Heads

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Brett350, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Marv D

Marv D Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Devils own training ground,,, aka Arizona
    You will also hear back from the welder what a PITA it was. I've had AFR , AllPro, Dart, Brodix and Edelbroke heads repaired. According to my machine shop BY FAR the alloy AFR uses is the hardest to weld,, and Edelbroke is a very close second.

Like mentioned,, repairable for sure, but the cost may mean a $550 new bare casting, and a couple of valves are more cost effective. By the time you jet wash, bake to get them spotless, pay for the repair weld and milling, a valve or two and a valve job, maybe guides,,, a new bare casting and couple of valves and a valve job (on both heads) might be a better move. Just depends on what the welder charges. The last one I had repaired that had multiple cylinders damaged, and multiple strikes like this,, cost $250 for the weld and surface touchup (no parts)

2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Labor, which I'm starting to uncover isnt cheap....def weigh the options

3. Turbo70Camaro

Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

X10 that's why I have a garage full of tools and equipment now even though I may only use that tool once.

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Chicago, Illinois..... Far S.W. Subs, RT 66 Area

Good point. I never even thought of that.
    For my stuff, that little bit of damage is way cheaper to fix, then buying a new bare core for $1500-2500, plus the thousands more to finish them.

Definitely judge cost before you start welding then find more expense to put them back together.

5. muscl car

muscl car Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I've got a friend who used to work for Esslinger Racing engines , the build Ford 4 cyl race engines for USAC Midgets . His job was welding up the holes in the blocks or cylinder heads from the races the previous weekend these USAC Midget teams would do to their motors

He has repaired some blocks & cyl heads maybe a dozen or so times during a race season for just one team

6. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Buy a new Bare head and have a great Carnage Display head.

7. ZZILLA

ZZILLA New Member

The welder @ Esslinger is a topshelf welder! Ive seen his work & it is second to none! He Welds the AFR alloys w/no problems!

8. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you him!

9. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

For anything less than a maximum effort race engine,I would have them pressure checked,give them a light milling pass,and have the valve job redone. Leave the dents there,they won't hurt anything.

10. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Usually weld repairs are common in race stuff, because it's on very expensive castings thus cost effective to do do. Working on the Eddys can't leave you ahead

If the welder above is as good as stated, I'm sure he's got healthy labor rates.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015