Damn, it's getting more and more difficult....

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ULTM8Z, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Rockhound

Rockhound Veteran Member

My daughter stopped believing last year when she was 9. My son stopped believing at about the same age. My wife and I told my son to keep acting like Santa was real for my daughter's sake. He did good and really enjoyed the extra present for a long time since he's 8 years older than she is.....

We have always given gifts as family with one present coming from Santa, usually the big ticket present.

2. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

APPLAUSE!!!

3. green 1977

green 1977 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

When my boys were old enough to ask the question, I simply answered them with a couple of questions.
    Do you enjoy having Santa as part of your Christmas celebration?

Would you enjoy as much if it wasn't part of Christmas

We then introduced them to anonymous gift giving to people less fortunate :)

4. DENALI

DENALI Veteran Member

I convinced my kids (been a few years ago) there really was a santa by taking a pair of boots and sticking them in the ashes of the fireplace and making foot prints from the fireplace to the plate of cookies and milk. The previous year they accused me of eating the cookies and milk and that santa wasn't real. The ashes and boots trick bought me another year LOL

5. Happy Johnson

Happy Johnson Veteran Member

I never did the Santa "lie" with my kids who are now 11 & 9. Christmas has to do with Christ and spending time with family.

I chose not to lie to my kids because adults went out of there way to trick me as a kid. I saw through the whole thing at an early age but the adults kept the gig up. In the the end I don't think lying to your kids brings the magic of Christmas.

6. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Well, if it's put like that- then I lied to mine (& they will to theirs).
    Christmas & Santa are awesome!
    I would stick an arrow in his reindeer though.

7. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

I used to enjoy playing Santa at the hospital for kids who were going to miss it at home. The hardest part of that was when I needed to do it in August because the child might not make it to December. Yes, the 14 year olds knew I wasn't really Santa. I still did my best to give them some real good belly laughs.

My youngest niece believed in Santa because of me until her friends told her the truth around age 12 or so. They lived in a really rough neighborhood and had several large, protective dogs. I'm talking eat your arm large. If you were let in, they were fine with that but don't try to force your way in. 3 separate intruders found that out the hard way. I knew all the dogs since they were puppies so I was part of the pack and could come and go as I wanted to. When they would go to Christmas Eve Mass and then dinner, I would bring the gifts over that were stored at my house and put them under the tree. My youngest niece got a bicycle one year. She was all excited about it and saying she got a bike. Her dad, my brother-in-law is a really good guy. He is from India and there the man of the house is the Boss. Period. As such, he can't lie. He's looking and saying "No you didn't, I don't see a bike." Well, dad didn't know about it and the dogs didn't tear anyone up so it MUST have been Santa.

I miss those days but I also don't let her forget it either. :)

8. southview

southview Veteran Member

same here though when oldest was 6. She asked how come the footprints come out of the chimney but not back in? Now she is going to be 8 in Feb and wanted to know the real truth. Wife couldn't lie and told her. I was ready to rent some deer and hire a Santa to make her stay my little girl as long as possible. Now she is excited for her 2.5 year old sister to believe in Santa. God I hate her growing up so fast. But as smart as she is, she better take care of daddy in his older years!:D

9. camaro6662

camaro6662 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I'm still in touch with my inner child I do Believe in Santa Clause :)
    and with 2 granddaughters to boot

10. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

my 10 yr old is pushing the limits of creativity. He want to CAPTURE Santa Clause :confused: ... like WTF!!!!!!

but only for a minute or two....he doesn't want to slow him down as "he's working really hard that night" ... lol

I've staged the footprints in the chimney... too and from .... I've banged on the roof at 2 am .... i've even "hollered.. FREEZE MR..." like an intruder (with momma's approval :) )..then "OH .... Sorry about that SANTA .... YOU startled me" to have my boys run/fall/stumble down the stairs....."oh.. you just missed him..."..... The magic of believing in something you can't see and stuff is part of the innocense of childhood.

Santa usually brings the 1 big ticket item. (the one that the tooth fairy can't carry) ;)