Damn J nuts (or whatever they're called)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by TX78Z28, Mar 23, 2007.

1. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

I was pulling the rear leafs out of my '78 Z....got the 3 bolts out of the front eye carrier of the leaf spring on the drivers side no problem. Hopped my happy ass over to the passenger side....and yup...you guessed it. I snapped one off! :mad:

Add that to the fact my new Craftsman 11/16 ratcheting wrench somehow got left out on site of another project, a '72 C-10 I'm taking the drivetrain, and front and rear suspension (6 to 5 lug axle swap) then parting...so fighting the rear shackles has also been a pain. :rolleyes:

I'm too tired to fight with it tonight. There's always another day. At least the rear ends pulled to be rebuilt, and is loaded in the truck. Can anyone recommend a north side of Dallas, Plano, etc. differential shop?

2. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You must have a southern vehilce. If it were driven in the north all of them would either spin in the chassis or snap off. Personally, I tighten them to snap the bolts off. Go to the GM dealer and get new ones. All the aftermarket ones I've tried to use a a POS and don't hold.

Sorry to hear that you lost your 11/16" ratcheting wrench. My youngest son has the nasty habbit of leaving tools all over the place. I'll have to re-teach him to put the tools away by not putting something expensive of his away. Paybacks are a female dog.

3. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

so how many do you want? i was cleaning up my shop and ran across 3 or 4 of them. call me and maybe you can stop by and pick one or a couple up. let me know. 214 212 3369 tommy

4. TX78Z28

TX78Z28 Veteran Member

Oh I was planning on replacing all the hardware with the new leafs anyway....it was just that with all the pre-soaking I did and all....I was hoping to get lucky and be able to get all 6 without breaking one.

I did find a broken leaf on the drivers side. The main leaf, broken in 3 places around the center bolt.

5. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

since your replacing them replace with ubolts instead of j bolts. you will need to bend the brake line to clear but its mucho better