Damn Tire Rack, WTH?

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
Wow. I never would have thought that much would be saved. Guess I better start looking into Tire Rack.

It wasn't apples to apples, different brand but the lowest priced tires at Discount were almost $1,300 out the door. A tire level I was comfortable with at Tire rack was $570 shipped. I suspect since Discount couldn't get them, and every one else is out of stock, they are going to be discontinued and discounted but that's why I jumped now instead of following the plan for November.

Got a smoking deal on some "returned" wheels too. I'll post pictures once mounted up.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
I find that tire business is such a mess now, none of them make much money off the tires anymore. The places around here will essentially match tire rack plus mounting fees so you don't save anything buying local. And they have problem getting tires where tire rack gets s*** to you in 2 days.

Doesn't seem to be a stigma bringing your own tires in anymore like there used to be.

Knuckle Dragger

Mayor of Simpleton
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Nov 2, 2002
Waddell AZ
You can't mount them at work?
We're not allowed to use the shop for personal cars and I have never ever done it, that would be wrong and against the rules................
😇

Our machines are a good 25 years old with zero protections or attachments for aluminum wheels; they have been severly abused by guys with no clue on what they are doing. Steel wheels are hit or miss with these POS machines. No way I'd try them a wheel I liked lol. The city can't afford new tire machines but we can waste $20K on a rainbow crosswalk to show our support 🤯

Javelin3o4

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 21, 2004
Concord, CA
They were the only place I could find tires for 4th gen. I have c5 z06 wheels on it, and nobody had them. Got them dropped off either the next day or 2 days later.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
We're not allowed to use the shop for personal cars and I have never ever done it, that would be wrong and against the rules................
😇

Our machines are a good 25 years old with zero protections or attachments for aluminum wheels; they have been severly abused by guys with no clue on what they are doing. Steel wheels are hit or miss with these POS machines. No way I'd try them a wheel I liked lol. The city can't afford new tire machines but we can waste $20K on a rainbow crosswalk to show our support 🤯

I won’t mention WHAT city but the one I work in spends a crap ton of money on useless things - every city vehicle has specifically real tree camo seat covers. But then you get to the downtown area… they spent one summer digging up the road and resurfacing it. Ok that’s needed. But they failed to replace the 100 yr old water main which subsequently failed that winter and they had to do emergency repairs and then that next summer digging it all up and replacing. And then repaving again. Then the following year they decided to add flower beds and lighting. Had to dig it half up again.
Only to be followed by deciding to change several side streets from 1ways to 2 ways so let’s rip up the curbs and tear it all apart and make new turn and merge lanes etc. only to be followed with a “great deal purchasing used street lights from the city of Minneapolis” (that they had to have blasted, repaired and repainted) so had to rip stuff up again.

Ok they were fine for like 6 or so years and now they are hell bent on redoing it all over again to add parking and changing the traffic flow.
Yeah Mankato Minnesota is GREAT at wasting tax payers money.

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
Also I apologize for the hijacking haha.

Glad you got your tires ahead of schedule. Hope the deal you got on them was worth it and not some “blems” always a makes me a littler Leary.

(Apologize again for the poor spelling but it’s been a week of 16 hr days working LOL)

Phil G

Veteran Member
May 3, 2004
Tucker, GA, USA
I have bought tires from TR for many years. Last set of tires I put on my '76 V8 Monza were hard to find anywhere else! Yokohama AVS Intermediates, in 215/60-R13! On 7.5" wide American Racing wheels, Libre pattern, rarer than hens' teeth now.

More recently I put new tires on both Grand Prix's, as I mentioned in another thread. Two sets of Goodyear Weather Ready all season, in 225/60-16. Guy from TR delivered them in a truck containing all the mounting and balancing gear plus the tools to do it. In my driveway!

That truck had equipment as state-of-the art as I've EVER seen!

Zstar

Veteran Member
Mar 23, 2014
Ocala, Florida
I won’t mention WHAT city but the one I work in spends a crap ton of money on useless things - every city vehicle has specifically real tree camo seat covers. But then you get to the downtown area… they spent one summer digging up the road and resurfacing it. Ok that’s needed. But they failed to replace the 100 yr old water main which subsequently failed that winter and they had to do emergency repairs and then that next summer digging it all up and replacing. And then repaving again. Then the following year they decided to add flower beds and lighting. Had to dig it half up again.
Only to be followed by deciding to change several side streets from 1ways to 2 ways so let’s rip up the curbs and tear it all apart and make new turn and merge lanes etc. only to be followed with a “great deal purchasing used street lights from the city of Minneapolis” (that they had to have blasted, repaired and repainted) so had to rip stuff up again.

Ok they were fine for like 6 or so years and now they are hell bent on redoing it all over again to add parking and changing the traffic flow.
Yeah Mankato Minnesota is GREAT at wasting tax payers money.
Ocala seems to be hellbent on building a Trump style police station every 6 blocks.