Dart SBC 215's

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by 1980RS, Aug 14, 2020.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I recently acquired a pair of Dart SBC 215's, just had a valve job and have been resurfaced. I know they are 64cc's as the 64 is on the end of the heads. I am wondering how good these heads are as I am thinking about putting them on my other 406 and selling it because I want to build a better SBC. Any results that you guys have with these?.

2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Are the the older "pre-platinum" heads ? if so, and your looking to make the most out of those castings, they need to be properly ported and sized. If selling with the engine, as long as the specs and clearances are good, they will make decent power for what they are. The Iron castings stable, and heavy for a reason.

Once ported, they can/do make nice power. Look for core shift in the older castings (any casting really). I have had good luck with the DART "platinums" in aluminum and Iron...I ported them to get even more out of them.

3. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I am not sure if they are the older or newer ones, guess I will need to find the date code for them. I know one head porter said they have way too much air speed on the short side hump before it make the short side turn and needs to be slowed down some. Will be fun to port them to see what I can get out of them. Thanks.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

The raised DART lettering will not be as "blocked" on the new ones, more like the actual logo.

The Biggest difference is in the long wing leading up to the intake guide, and the vain afterwards, those are the new "Platinum" design. Port texture, pitot tubes do come in handy, that and what the port sounds like. I like bolting up the actual intake and spacers/carb and even air base/filter/lid to be used, that and testing at higher depressions shows some trends.

I like the Iron variant, holds the heat, and things don't "move around" as much.

1980RS likes this.
  5. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I think these are the old ones then as there is no long vain leading up to the intake roof. Oh well, for $300 can't complain too much.

6. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

That's a good deal....I paid $600 for mine, no parts, but there the DART Iron Eagle Platinum with 21.5* valve angles and 49CC, 1 off weirdo heads.....I love 'em, LOL

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Last night I tore into these Dart 215's and they are the older ones but will work. I noticed a couple of things right away that need to be fixed, the chambers need to be reworked as the intake valves are too close to the chamber walls and the short side on the exhaust is terrible as it the rest of the port. I looked close at the valve job the kid had done and while it looked ok, after cleaning I looked close at the intakes and could see several of the seats are chattered, not good for making power. I will get these flowed when I am done with them, the 215's will go on my 13:1 406 so if the chambers are larger I am not going to worry about that. Did the same thing on the Vortec's and it lowered the compression a touch but boy did they run hard.

8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

If you can find a few side by side picks of the old vs the platinum versions that may help you in your quest to update them, short of using epoxy for the leading and trailing guide vane. I don't use the bench to evaluate the exhaust....that's the tough part with porting the exhaust.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Here's a little work done on the Darts.
    20201026_234752.jpg

camaro71/holland and muscl car like this.
  10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Nice 1980RS, will you be leaving the chambers with that finish? I can't tell if they are AL or Iron, looks iron to me in the pic.

1980RS likes this.