Dash cluster mount repair?

Discussion in 'Interior Restoration' started by 73RATTYZ28, May 6, 2019.

1. 73RATTYZ28

73RATTYZ28 Veteran Member

Finally pulled my loose rattling cluster and the area on the dash pad that the cluster mounts to has 2 broken tabs that fell off when i removed the screws holding the cluster in. I couldnt find much on the forum except a post using locktite expoxy puddy. Anyone have any other tips to avoid buying a new dash?

thanks

2. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Following. All 4 tabs are broken on mine. It will be forever before I get to it, but hopefully I can find the thread in several years.

3. 73RATTYZ28

73RATTYZ28 Veteran Member

Was thinking of expoxying a metal tab behind where the tabs broke off and drilling for a self tapping screw. Found this but not sure what type of glue to use Dash repair.JPG

4. garyandcindy

garyandcindy Veteran Member

That is a picture of the metal tab on a OER replacement dash pad.They are molded in during the manufacturing of the pad.

5. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

I was thinking of the tabs on the part that holds the instruments themselves.

6. Ote

Ote Member

I replaced mine on my '71 as all tabs but one were broken off. What I found was that the dash area around the area that the cluster screws into had warped a little. So when I installed the cluster and put in the the 4 screws I found that I had to "massage" the dash so the screw holes would line up with the cluster tab holes. This ended up pre-stressing the tabs and they would end up breaking again. My fix was to use 2 screws in the bottom and 1 screw in the top as those holes lined up okay. I put a small zip tie through the 4th hole and loosely tightened it just a bit. No more pre-stress. Seems to be working okay.

7. Z28SSRS

Z28SSRS Veteran Member

When the tabs on the left side of my dash broke on my '78 Camaro I ended up using epoxy glue to glue the left side back on.

8. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

makeing metel tabs the size as the ones ,org and (L) shape ,,drall part of L to be screded into the plastic dash gauage housing,fitting them between the rigges on the housing allready on the housing and a hole for mounting,, where the screws goes in will never be seen when put to gether.maybe

9. camaro73lt

camaro73lt Veteran Member

I used JB Weld and plastic nylon round washers to reconstruct the tabs on my cluster housing. Has held up for almost 10 years. Just pulled the gauges for servicing and it was still holding strong. Easy to work with and cheap fix.

dave@ztech likes this.