Dash fuse, 79 firebird non T/A cluster.

DayGavin

May 13, 2021
The title pretty much says it all, im having a pretty terrible time with my dash light fuse and had hoped to do some more night cruising. Im currently saving for a dakota digital one and hope to have it soon. I also have the idiot lights just taken out of their sockets but never put the plugs back in, could that be my issue? Is there a dash ground that tends to rot faster in these later second gens?
I bought the car nearly a year ago and have only started having this problem in the last couple weeks. Also replaced the physical switch around the time I bought it.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Is the dash fuse blowing or just not getting power?

If it's like the Camaro wiring, the headlight switch needs to be pulled out (in either position) for that fuse to get power.

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
I don't have a wiring diagram for your F'bird but that circuit also powers the heater control panel lamp.
There could be a pinched/grounded spot in the wire to that panel.

In Camaros, the circuit is a grey wire.
If you completely unplug the circuit panel on the back of the cluster, does it still blow?

That would narrow it down to a short in that set of wires or a crossed tab on the cluster circuit panel.

DayGavin

May 13, 2021
I don't have a wiring diagram for your F'bird but that circuit also powers the heater control panel lamp.
There could be a pinched/grounded spot in the wire to that panel.

In Camaros, the circuit is a grey wire.
If you completely unplug the circuit panel on the back of the cluster, does it still blow?

That would narrow it down to a short in that set of wires or a crossed tab on the cluster circuit panel.
I will try these out over the weekend and get back to you, thanks for the help!

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
It could be shorting somewhere near the headlight switch too.
That circuit includes a rheostat (dimmer) in the headlight switch but that shouldn't blow a fuse.
Checking the wire from the rheostat with an Ohm meter should help find it as no resistance would indicate a short to ground somewhere.