Dave Cozzi's 1970 RS Project (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by dcozzi, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Dave's 1970 RS

I figured I would FINALLY do a progress thread since the car has been down for 5 YEARS!
    The car was an original AZ car. I turned it into a hotrod and drove around without a hood for awhile with a 500+HP 406CI. New big cam would not pass emissions so, motor came out and I decided to repaint the car. That is where it all began.....
    [​IMG]Then I started taking it apart for paint....
    Talk about rust free!
    [​IMG] P4010009.JPG
    At first, I started to use a D/A on it. Screw that! Bought a media blaster and I spent 40-50hrs. dissassembling and media blasting it in my garage.
    P4010010.JPG
    Then I got some $$$ and heard about Lateral Dynamics 3-Link rear end setup. Had it minitubbed and setup right.
    Old 9"
    P5130035.JPG
    New 3-Link w/Strange third member and axles.
    20161112_124652.jpg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    mackthebulldog likes this.
  2. Darryl's81

Darryl's81 Veteran Member

Looking good! What motor do you plan to replace the 406 with?

3. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Car in primer.
    P2050199.JPG
    Motor back in. 454HP/457TQ roller cammed 406. Streetable.

Serpentine setup.
    PC310134 - Copy.JPG
    Rewiring the car a bit because 40+ years of ghetto engineering can hide anywhere.
    And it did.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  4. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Removed alot of unnecessary wires and crap like the alt relay. Ran a new exciter wire and a new fuel pump power wire to a new relay(the one on the radiator shroud).
    Reinstalled the 12.19" rear Wilwood brakes with a new mounting plate since the new rear is a Torino "big bearing" rear. No pics on that one. It is all safety wired and Loctited though.
    I broke a molar chewing gum while doing the rear brakes and wound up with a root canal and a crown. Another $$ setback. Thats what happens when you have metal fillings and decay gets in.
    Back to the car.
    Front end needed new ball joints and springs. Strip, repaint and reinstall.
    [​IMG]
    Fear the coil spring!!!
    New brakes were in order so, I bought a setup from a member here.
    Kore3 hubs, B-Body spindles, Corvette C4 rotors and Wilwood 6 piston calipers.
    Old Wilwood 10.75" vs. new 13" rotors.
    [​IMG]
    Mockup of new stuff.
    [​IMG]
    Still cannot fit it inside the old 15" rims so, have to wait to install permanently. 18's going on the car eventually.
    This weekend, I started to paint and prime some sheetmetal. There is alot of it, I have found out. I have not used the paint gun in a long time but, I still have a basic understanding of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Had to wash the bare metal with mild Phosphoric acid and a scotch brite pad since they developed some surface rust. Dried quickly and went over with cleaner before spraying. Got the neighbors real high today! Painted outdoors.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

One real cool thing I noticed on the UCA's I got from Lateral-D. They are threaded on the cross shafts. Tis allows you to add or subtract caster from the front end by moving the arm fore and aft. Mark is a crafty man indeed!
    [​IMG]

Today I also worked on getting the Scat Procar Sportsman seats to fit in the car properly. Anyone who thinks about buying them with the brackets, save your $. The brackets are CRAP. I will post the way I found to get them lower in the car and further back as well. I am 5'10" and my head was near the roof and knees were in the steering wheel. A little welding sourced angle iron and some grade 8 bolts should give yield a simple solution. Just give me a little time with the cutoff wheel and grinder.:crazy: I'll post the solution I came up with so you can add it to the other ones fellow members have done. They are all ingenious yet simple, I think.

Lots of parts left. Lots of parts.:confused:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. sovain

sovain Veteran Member

you got a price on those uca from lateral-D,i`m on the lookout for some.

7. QUAKE_WARS

QUAKE_WARS Veteran Member

No portion may be used with or without permission
    Nice :D

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Unfortunately, Lateral-D is no longer in business. They were working on LCAs and UCAs as a part of a full coil-over front end package to go with the 3-Link rear right before they closed their doors.

9. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Looking good!

10. daniel76309

daniel76309 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dave, looks nice! I see that I am not the only one with piles of car parts in the extra bedrooms. :)

Do you have additional pictures/info on your rear suspension setup? What I can see in the one picture looks very interesting.