Deal or no Deal

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by jtherrien, Jul 18, 2016.

1. jtherrien

jtherrien Member

My friend is offering to sell me his sbc350. I'm trying to figure out whether or not to pull the trigger, and what questions I should ask of him before purchase.

Engine was used in a 62 Tempest owned by a friend-of-a-friend (That was not the stock engine for that car if I'm not mistaken), taken out and rebuilt for a racing application. It was then gifted to my friend to put into one of his projects. Now the engine is taking up space, and he would like to get rid of it. It's been sitting for about 3 years, started intermittently.

The parts inside are mostly unknown, it has 400 heads on it. Supposedly it made hp somewhere in the low 400s on racing octane. High compression at 10.5 or 10.8, I forget what he said. HUGE fuel pump on it. It comes with a load of spare parts and pulleys, a crappy 4bbl, as well as a spare power steering pump.

I know racing engines are built quite differently, and I'm a bit weary not knowing what exactly is inside. I'm not too worried about it "not lasting too long", considering it's driven about once a month.

Thoughts? What do I need to know before I buy?

2. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

You need to know every spec of the engine. Cam specs, pistons, etc. Is the cam flat tappet, hydraulic roller, solid? If it's solid you'll be adjusting rockers all the time. How many miles on it? What's the price? Engines built strictly for racing tend to have terrible street manners.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  3. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

unless it's free I would pass

a REAL racing engine is at least 12:1 so that means race gas

4. jtherrien

jtherrien Member

Mileage since rebuild is 0. He pulled it, built it, and gave it to my buddy.
    I'm getting a "friend price" of $500... he really wants it gone.

5. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

How was it started if it was out of a car?

6. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

500 bucks is a good deal for the parts and a rebuildable core alone. I doubt it's all that wild. Then again, my version of unstreetable is when it blows up leaving the garage.

7. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

No performance engine would use 400 heads. A running engine should be worth $500 though, sometimes cheaper.

8. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It's a gamble. Sometimes rebuilds aren't done well or there's mismatched parts. On the other hand, it's short money for a running small block.

Since its been run a few times, see if he'll let you cut the oil filter open to check for metal shavings. Get all the information you can and report back.

9. AnotherWs6

AnotherWs6 Member

Wondered the same thing.

10. middleagecrisis

middleagecrisis Veteran Member

I'm not sure how your friend could get "10.5 or 10.8" out of open chamber (76cc) heads, but 400 horsepower out of a 350 with stock type heads sounds more like a bench racing number, than an actual number. While $500 sounds good, keep in mind your buying an unknown engine combination that might not work with your current gear ratio, transmission, or style of driving. I'd think twice before paying $500 for it.