Dealership - ever forget to add oil in an oil change?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by ErikNORCAL, Apr 20, 2015.

1. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

For folks that either work at a dealership or have experienced this from a dealership, is it plausible that the tech forgets to put the oil in during an oil change? Took my car in for first oil change (and car wash) and can not get a reading on the dipstick. Have checked hot and cold. Checked when new and it read on the dipstick. It's not because it's so clean either, pretty dry and sounds empty when seating the dipstick back in (tinny sound). I seriously hope this isn't the case but just in case, what can I expect? The service manager is just going to top it off from the discussion since the car is running. I've asked if they have inventory control or cameras to just check to see if the adding oil part was missed. 2014 mazda 5 2.5L manual Trans.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  2. Mike N

Mike N Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Wouldn't be the first time some quick lane lube boob was too busy playing with his cell phone to add the proper amount of oil to an engine. Heck we've got guys where I work that dump 4 1/2 quarts in everything, shut the hood and ship it.

I would have the car towed back and I'd want to be there when they pull the drain plug to see how much oil comes out. Collect it in jugs to see what was there versus what should be there.

3. dirtmod08

dirtmod08 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oil pressure reading or anything? How far did you drive it before checking the oil?

4. TL73Z28

TL73Z28 Veteran Member

This is why I do my own oil changes

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

I change my own oil because I don't trust anybody else to do it right. Doing it my way, if the oil isn't in there, it is my fault and nobody else's.
    Years ago I had a dealer's shop mess up the car when changing oil. They got the oil change right, but messed up the air cleaner so the car wouldn't run. I don't trust them to touch the car again.

6. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Let them add oil and see how much they have to add to bring it up to the dipstick if its over a quart I would raise hell!

7. ErikNORCAL

ErikNORCAL Veteran Member

only fancy gauge is a tach, else idiot lights on this car. been driving lots and hard for past 6 days. Car has 5500 miles total on it... will know tomorrow morning if I basically paid them to ruin a new car.
    Since it isn't reading on the dipstick, Think I'm going to ask them to drain vice fill to determine how much is in there. My big concern is they don't accept any responsibility since the car is and has been running though the smidge that I'm barely able to get on the very tip of the dipstick seems to have a lot of dark particles in it.
    seriously hope this is just some wacky thing with this model but doubt it.

8. BACK IN BLACK Z

BACK IN BLACK Z Veteran Member

Been through a similar situation.. They need to come to you and verify...DO NOT ADD ANYTHING!!! You will assume responsibility. Had our rearend break right after an "oil and lube job" . The first thing I noticed was the fact that neither plug had been removed. Work was done (signed off) at a Walmart service center. Both the tech and the store supervisor came to my house and tried to claim that the work was done. It was evident that the plugs had never been removed.. With them there, I removed the plug. There was old oil in the housing. I told the super that if I was a d!c I could easily make them pay, but I mainly wanted this guy to quit ripping them & customers off.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  9. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I worked at a dealer 20 years ago and one of the tech's forgot to tighten the drain plug.
    5 miles later the oil light went on.
    Women tried to drive back to the dealer and the engine seized.
    Towed in.
    The tech had to pay for the entire cost.

It does happen,human error.

10. red78z

red78z Veteran Member

whebn we had Lizzies dodge avenger , they forgot to put the cap back on , so it spewed oil all over everything , I called made them come tow it there give us a loaner til the engine was cleaned and an oil change w/ cap put back on was done:)