Decoding Questions

Discussion in '1977 Z28' started by TruckDoc, Mar 22, 2019.

1. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

I have what is titled as a 1977 type LT with T-Tops, 4spd non org motor and paint, according to the cowl tag. I am trying to decode the car so I can start locating parts but have run into a little confusion. I will start with the vin only being 12 characters. No RPO code sheets and the trim tag that is almost unreadable. Any help would be appreciated. Also need help telling which type of T-tops, I know its Hurst(two handles) but don't know if it is 1st or 2nd design. How would I tell? Looking forward to learning more about the car as I work on the repairs, Lots of repairs. Curt

buick skylark likes this.
  2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

VIN should be 13 characters. Is it the original VIN or has it been re-VIN'd by a State agency?
    When a State issues a new VIN, it can be any number of characters they desire, but there will no longer be any information in the new VIN to tell you anything about the car.

3. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

Unknown if its a reissue vin. The dash tag is the same way. just 12. has me wondering about the car and its true origins. What seems to be missing is the build plant letter. the 7th character. Based on the trim tag from cowl it was build in LA

4. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

should have said the letter L

5. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

something happened to my last message, It is only 12 long, missing build plant letter, not sure if its re vin or not.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Welcome to NastyZ!

I'm pretty sure factory T-Tops weren't available until 78.

You'll need to post some pics to identify what was installed.
    (It's possibly a whole roof swap was done.)

Post pic of the VIN and Trim tag too.

7. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

Well, with a clearer head(morning fog) I cleaned up the vin tag and sure enough, 13 but title and insurance card are both wrong.(this could turn into a mess. I have pictures of the tops and the almost unreadable trim tag. Still cleaning out the car and pulling interior out, If I find a build sheet, that would solve many issues. This car is far from being anything close to resembling stock. Making a list of missing parts, broken stuff.. Its getting to be a long list.

Attached Files:

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

The trim tag can be easily cleaned up with oven cleaner. It removes all the old paint, but doesn't destroy the aluminum tag.

9. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

Thought about that(have used it before like that) but on further inspection it looks like part of the last set of numbers is literally rubbed flat. Just sprayed it down to see what will happen. But I am starting to think that this shell is going to take way more work than I originally thought(as I take things apart and find more hidden gems. The cracks in the main panel under the windshield concern me about the total integrity of the firewall area. This is my first car project but is my second 2nd gen f-body(78 Fire Bird Formula) that ended up totaled by the now ex. I am not much on body work so this will be a learning project.

10. TruckDoc

TruckDoc New Member

No RPO sheet to be had anywhere on the car. Did find a small tag with had written information about 4 subjects but its almost unreadable. its on the back side of the glove box door. Gives hand written for engine, trans and rear end with the body sequence number I assume. Engine reads as VO315CKS with written about in smaller print S or E 5378, Diff reads RNG 7075, Trans reads 45,136, Body reads 198213 same as trim tag. Any Ideas as to what this might be about?