Degreeing a Cam

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Scaleytail, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Scaleytail

Scaleytail Veteran Member

Recently changed out Camshaft. Did not degree the Camshaft, put everything back together exactly as it came off. No vacuum idle timing is at 4 BTDC and fully advanced 36 degrees is an inch away from the timing tab. The balancer is keyed, so TDC is true. It’s running pretty good, but I can’t wrap my head around the timing marks being off. Any thoughts?

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Original stock damper? If so, that 40+ year old rubber can take a set and the outer ring slip. Take the damper off and compare the timing mark with a new one and see if it lines up.

3. Scaleytail

It’s a three year old engine. The balancer is keyed, soI don’t think that’s off.Lined every thing up. Just can’t wrap my head around my timing set up seems to be 8 degrees off. It runs very well ...but this isn’t right or I’m missing something.

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

No vacuum or low vacuum may be a result of the cam. What did you have for a cam and what did you go too?

5. Scaleytail

Went from 221/226 @50 .528/.536 110 to .234/.234@50 .576/.576 111. Best vacuum is now a lil over 11.

6. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Truly find your marks.

JWhalen, Scaleytail and jthomas like this.
  7. biker

biker Veteran Member

I think he meant he checked the timing with no vac advance hooked up.

8. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Are you sure the wires are right on the distributor cap. I've seen a lot of very experienced techs swap wires and get some odd results

9. Scaleytail

Timing is done with the vacuum advance removed and hose plugged.Will recheck wires but the car runs pretty good. Gonna verify TDC tomorrow. Something fishy is gonna on...my timing indicates 4 BTDC-max advance is 46 thinking its actually 14 BTDC and max timing of 36 ....missing 10 degrees

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

That is odd. Reading 10 too low at idle and 10 too high at max total timing? Timing light messed up? Dial back digital on a weird setting?

I agree that your actual timing must close to perfect. My cam is similar, and will not idle at 4" btdc

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020