Detriot Speed, Selecta Speed Wiper Kit

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by luvmymaro, Mar 16, 2011.

1. luvmymaro

luvmymaro Member

2. TX79Z28

TX79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I would love to hear any input as well, going to that on my 79, also would like to know if there are any known issues with wiring this kit using the AAW Highway 22 harness

3. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

4. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Thanks for that link Scott.

Been debating this myself. I know it's just a $100 2000'ish Cadillac wiper motor which
    fits numerous other GM vehicles of that era, but no luck in finding a switch
    to operate it that will work in the 2nd gen.

5. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

easier if you go right to page 4...

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201760&page=4

I used some of my old wires for electric windshield washer pump. The old black and yellow wire that use to give you 12 volt to the wiper motor goes to the pump now and then the black wire that used to go the switch and provide a ground for the motor now goes to a momentary switch mounted where the rear defog switch would go. The other terminal on that switch goes right to a chassis ground. So you have 12v at motor, push button, and ground is provided to turn motor on. Rest of the wires I pulled out of bulkhead connector. The DSE motor comes with its own harness. I ran that out the firewall just above where the park brake bolts to the firewall (no front sheetmetal on car so it was easy to get to). Any questions on the install PM me.

6. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Do you have pictures OR a schematic that shows how the motor is wired up??
    What terminals get what wires ??

Do you know if they sell JUST the switch ??

7. protour73

Well, I gave up trying to incorporate that Caddy wiper motor, the killer is the switch and I'm not an electronics expert. SO ...... I bit the bullet a week ago and coughed up the $$$ for the DSE Selecta Speed Wiper kit.

Install info and pics to come. I have put this on the back burner, as I'm designing a new instrument bezel and am not sure where the wiper switch will go yet. ;)

8. grzewnicki

This may be a cadillac motor, but I'm pretty sure the park feature (mechanical parts-pitman arm/trigger plate that came on the motor I got) is not there on the cadillac one, I haven't seen any new cars that the wipers park on anymore, you'll see the park thingy on my progress page. I imagine DSE just used a good all around motor and modified it to work on 2nd gen's by making an adapter plate and then the park hardware stuff. If the park feature was on the cadillac one, I;m sure DSE would sell you the switch, I'm sure if my switch ever went bad I could get just that part from them (hopefully!). Like I said in my post, man sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and spend the bucks. Living in Florida delay is a must.

9. grzewnicki

If it comes down to it I can pull the connector off the motor and check each one to see what is happening at each switch position, will probably have to wait until tomorrow though, getting near my bedtime.

10. protour73

Not listed on the site, and I would venture to guess they would ONLY sell you a switch if your bought the motor from them originally!! IMHO

A call to DSE would answer that. ;)