Did I get ripped???

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by 74cam_mojo, Dec 7, 2007.

1. 74cam_mojo

74cam_mojo Member

Never dealt w/ a Machine Shop b4 / Took my 74 LT upper and lower control arms in to get new ball joints and and bushings pressed in all around. I removed the old ball joints / left the old rubber bushings in and provided all materials....They Charged me $190.00 ? Did I get bent over the work bench so to speak?????? they came highly recommended and if this is a fair price (labor only) I may use them in the future / If I got yanked then I need to find another shop. And no, like an dope I never asked for an est. when I brought them in.

Thanks for your comments

2. circle racer

circle racer Veteran Member

South Central Michigan AKA the Land of Salt, Rust,
    I don't know about the price, It might be a little high, not outragous but I have been dealing with the same machine shop for 10yrs and my dad went there for 15 before that. Changing bushings can be a real pain in the *ss. If it is a small shop I would think prices would get better as you have them do more work.

3. Camarofanatic73

Camarofanatic73 Veteran Member

Did you get an estimate before the work started?

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Sound high, how long did it take them to remove everything? I know the frist time I done a set it took me almost a hour, but a exp. machine shop sould of done it in about 30 min. To me it sounds like it sholud of been a $60 job.

5. dannyUAL767

dannyUAL767 Veteran Member

I've never used a machine shop for pressing bushings but I've read enough Camaro and Mustang internet threads on this topic. It sounds like you paid too much.

HOWEVER...........

I did my Z28 about 5 yrs ago. I didn't have a press and it was an agonizing PITA! I just did my 91 Mustang GT's bushings last week. There are only 4. I've got a hydraulic press now and it was still a major PITA :mad: ! Trying to manuever the arm in the proper position; trying to find proper "spacers", trying not to distort the arm :rolleyes: !

Most machine shops should have all of this right by their big ole hydraulic press so they don't have to fool with all the searching. And, they've probably done it many times before.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2007
  6. BACKN73

BACKN73 Veteran Member

Sounds kinda high............I would figure $50-$100 bux.

7. Cataldo

Cataldo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

i think that mine were $40, but i know the guy who ownes the shop, wasn't so much of a favor though.

8. BLUE72CAMARO

BLUE72CAMARO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like you got took to me!!

9. a/fool

a/fool Member

you did all the hard work. i can maybe see that if you brought the car in and had them start from the beginning. at say $60 bucks a hour, no way did that take 3 hours. you got hosed.

10. Ratracer

Ratracer Veteran Member

$40.00 for mine.