did my painter make a mistake?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by soonercrew, Dec 11, 2009.

1. soonercrew

soonercrew Veteran Member Gold Member

im asking this question prior to seeing the finished product... im just curious if my painter went too far with the final sanding. the car is a 72 z28 that we are taking back the original color of pewter silver metallic, and we are doing a full correct restoration. my painter took it to 1000 on the final sanding before the sealer. after reading alot, im under the immpression that 800 is plenty for a metallic color. i was also told that the silver metallics are the toughest on scratches??? will it be fine going to 1000 on the final???
    thanks for any opinions!!!

2. 1fastlt1

1fastlt1 Member

I know you def want atleast 800 on metallics but I'm not sure if the 1000 is too much or not! Should be nice and smooth if the sealer will stick!!

3. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Hes responsible for the final product right?I mean,its not a friend or anything.You should have some recourse if something's wrong I would hope.Its prolly fine.

4. 76 camaro car

76 camaro car Veteran Member

I've painted professionally for over 28 years and never final sanded using over 600 grit. There is such a thing as making it too slick. The paint needs something to stick to.

5. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I would think 1000 grit and up would be used more for scratch/flaw repair in the actual paint when it's done (or down the road) rather than prep.

I've never prepped or painted, but I've wet sanded and buffed my share of cars.

6. wickedbowties

wickedbowties New Member Gold Member

i own my own resto shop and like said 600 is plenty if you are going to spray a sealer before paint you shouldnt have a problem with sand scatches any way

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Silver metalic paint will show "shadows" in the color coat after the clear is cut perfectly smooth... If there are any sanding scratches left in the surface.

Actually, any color metallic/pearl paint will show those "shadows" but silver seems to make them more obvious.

1000 grit is going a bit overboard but I don't think it will be a problem since there is going to be sealer shot over it anyway.

I would suspect he may have used 1000 grit for a pass over a previous 600 cut on some obvious panels but.... Did he really "polish" the whole body with 1000 grit?

8. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

1000 was a bit overkill...Let's hope the sealer bites into the surface well or the entire mess will peel off like a sticker.

9. jesters79

jesters79 New Member

That is overkill for sure. I don't even like going as fine as 800 as final sand before sealer. You always want to go as coarse as you can without being silly. The finer paper actually can leave more "waves" in the panels. It may be because the micro papers are not really designed to cut primer. In this case you are leaning on your chemical bond with a bit less mechanical bond. It is best to have both but what is done is done. Just my 2 cents.

10. marauder64ky

marauder64ky Veteran Member

It will be fine.