Didnt know it was that easy

biker

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Dec 7, 2014
Canada
I never knew it was so easy to build a 434sbc from a 427sbc that's why

I originally wanted to have Shafiroff build me a 434sbc but that would have been $6k more than I wanted to spend at the time

The closest track from my location is Beech Bend raceway park in Bowling Green Kentucky and that's about 60 miles from my location . The over one hour drive would be not fun at a 3800rpm cruise rpm

The two years the 427sbc has been in my Camaro I've only driven maybe just under 600 miles
If they charge 6000 bucks more to take the block out an extra .030 during a fresh build, there's probably more to their 434 package than just the bore job. For the life of me, I cant imagine what though. So, if Shafiroff is going to do the work you want, I can only imagine it would be more than 6000 to do on an existing build,

Right now you have an awesome, leak free big inch motor with an iconic displacement, no ring seal issues or tuning problems.i would hate to go through all of that and end up with an issue.

[email protected]

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Mar 27, 2016
NY
Here is an example for most, that no matter what we stick in these cars, we will want more, even when we can not really explain why, on a car that isn't broken in yet, HAA HA , I think that high gear rear is what is taking the fun out of it , so get a new chunk that is reasonable in gearing , so you can drive 60 miles with out an issue, my M3 was at 3500 RPM at 80 and that was stock gearing , so not really a big deal, if you have a ton of sound proofing, HAA HA

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
After running my 406 last year at the track, they make plenty of power. Heck I could run 10.60's and 70's and the car had a pretty violent launch but the car felt just like it had a 150 shot on it. A 434 would be nice as long as you already have most of the stuff needed. I just think you need a better cam than you have now to make the same power.

72BIGBLOCK

Veteran Member
Feb 2, 2008
SF
Here is an example for most, that no matter what we stick in these cars, we will want more, even when we can not really explain why, on a car that isn't broken in yet, HAA HA , I think that high gear rear is what is taking the fun out of it , so get a new chunk that is reasonable in gearing , so you can drive 60 miles with out an issue, my M3 was at 3500 RPM at 80 and that was stock gearing , so not really a big deal, if you have a ton of sound proofing, HAA HA

Agreed he says it’s not enjoyable to drive an hour away then he needs better gearing to enjoy the car more.

muscl car

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 8, 2001
Gallatin Tennessee
If they charge 6000 bucks more to take the block out an extra .030 during a fresh build, there's probably more to their 434 package than just the bore job. For the life of me, I cant imagine what though. So, if Shafiroff is going to do the work you want, I can only imagine it would be more than 6000 to do on an existing build,

Right now you have an awesome, leak free big inch motor with an iconic displacement, no ring seal issues or tuning problems.i would hate to go through all of that and end up with an issue.
Yes the 427sbc runs awesome has awesome oil pressure and runs cool in summer heat . I'm not going to pull this engine out until it needs to be freshened up

Shafiroff offers a engine refresh service ...

I'm only running a 3.89 rear gear but with a 600 inch hyd roller , 4500 stall converter , Transbrake ( having to engage the Transbrake to get into reverse), full manual reverse valve body and a spool in the rear axle it definitely isn't a daily driver
Agreed he says it’s not enjoyable to drive an hour away then he needs better gearing to enjoy the car more.
I do drive it around going to car shows and to the grocery store

Last edited:

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
Well, if you have the money to spend, and not doing the job, it's easy, just fork over the money...., but coming from a guy that's done that very same thing, amongst other build projects, except I did all the work as I did not have the $$$, it's not that "easy", and the ROTI (Return On Time Invested) as far as power goes, it's not very good frankly.

For all that work, you are only gaining 0.780 cubes per cylinder, or 6.2 cubes overall, and if you have the HHR option, that's only a gain of 8hp and 6.5 tq if you look at HP/TQ per cube. If you are at 600hp, it's still in the single digit gain.

I have made double that HP/TQ gain with just a ring pack change....nothing else on a 500hp pump gas 330 SBC.

You would be much better off with a cam change (solid bushed lifters) due to very low miles and the MPH trap speed, and a rocker shaft and perhaps get a pro to go through those heads....you are leaving hp/tq on the table as it sits.

If you really want, ask Shafiroff what's your piston spec's, if you are in the 1/16 with a support rail, or even the 1.5 or 1.2 mil range, there's gains in there that would more than make taking out 0.015 on the bores walls, not to mention shortening the blocks life span.

I have seen many customers spend money in the wrong areas, even though you warn them, they get fixated on a certain "number", be it cylinder heads, carb cfm or cubes, and when all is said and done, with the end results targets not met, the "conversation" comes up again......

I would get some time slips, you may need to spend money in other areas before you tear into a complete, fresh running engine with no issue.

Just sharing my view point muscl car, take it for what's it's worth, maybe I'm off base as well.

$ Mike 70 Z-28

Veteran Member
Nov 7, 2002
New York, NY
MUSCL CAR ... What ill will do . keep the motor the way it is. drive it, enjoy it . have fun . when ready swap to solid roller, check heads open up .go to a thinner head gasket
at 10 1/2 i will defiantly be at 11 1/2 close to 12. you will see power just by that and better off then just gaining 7 cubes

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
When I can run 11 teens at almost 120mph with an 8:1 BBC, 10:1 is more than enough compression t get the job done. I used to think 13:1 was the magic number but this low comp 461 made me change my mind on that.