Discontinued Jegs (Profiler) Angle plug head

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by shawntmartin, Oct 24, 2014.

1. shawntmartin

shawntmartin Veteran Member

I called Jegs and they couldnt tell me why they discontinued the Jegs (Profiler)195cc angle plug head but they still have the straight plug. Anyone know why that would happen when Profiler is still in business?
    I know I can go to the Profiler website and order them but they were cheaper with the Jegs logo on it...and free shipping.

2. Notalent

Notalent Veteran Member

Pro-filers still in business and going stronger than ever. I was up there last week. Jegs probably discontinued them because the angle plug is very undesirable to most people and they arent moving them.

3. shawntmartin

Why are they undesirable?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  4. BondoSpecial

BondoSpecial Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

header fitment / spark plug access

5. hhott71

hhott71 R.I.P 11/19/18 Lifetime Gold Member

Gotta use the Hedman Hedder #65104.
    They fit angle plug heads quite well. Most of the plugs come out with a ratchet, The 2 tight ones use a 5/8" combination wrench.

Angle vs Straight.
    There is little to no advantage to angle plugs until you start using domes over 1/4" high. To get 12:1 or higher compression on a 350 the dome is big. When they do that on the 327 and 302 the domes got so tall the spark plug was shrouded. Angling the whole plug and tip toward the exhaust put the plug in a more turbulent area for a better flame front.

6. shawntmartin

I thought there was something else undesirable that I didn't know about. But I have angle plugs with headers that fit and haven't had a problem

7. Damon

Damon Veteran Member

A lot of modern straight-plug heads have the plug moved toward the exhaust valve, laterally. Often about as far as you can go before it gets too close to the bottom-row head bolt that's on either side of each plug location.

'Fer instance- have a look at the plug location on a set of Vortec heads vs. an older set of heads from the 70s or 80s, both straight plug. Older heads it's right in the middle between the two bottom row head bolts. Vortecs its pushed over toward the exhaust side about as far as it can go without getting in the way of the head bolt.

8. Notalent

Notalent Veteran Member

Yip, revised spark plug location fixed the angle plug issue. Most headers that are off the shelf are meant for straight plug and wont work without extra custom dings if your lucky. Customers dont want to buy headers if they dont have to

9. 79RedZ

79RedZ Veteran Member

I'll weigh in on this. I've got the 65104's on my car. I've used them on two different engines. First engine had sportsman 2 heads with the angle plugs. Current engine has vortec's, of course with straight plugs. I think it was easier on the angle plug heads.

10. shawntmartin

I just figured with Profiler in business it wouldn't cost Jegs anything to order an angle plug head upon request. Because now I would have to buy new headers. :(