Distributor rotor ??

bski224

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2009
Long Island NY
I'm pretty sure I found my TDC via piston stop. My question now is I took cap off dizzy and rotor is pointing closer to the 12 o'clock position rather than pointing at #1 piston. I have to pull dizzy to lock it out. Should my rotor be facing #1 being that at TDC now??

K5JMP

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2006
MORTUORUM VENATOR - Z.R.T.
check the valves on #1 cylinder and make sure they are both fully closed.. sounds like you are 180° out..

remember, the crank turns twice for each time the rotor in the distributor makes a full turn.

Z28zz383

Veteran Member
May 11, 2012
Florida
Sometimes easier to do it the old timer way. Put your finger over #1 spark plug hole and have someone turn the motor clockwise with a lg socket wrench. Air stops coming out of the hole, your at tdc. Set up the dist where it points to the #1 spark plug position on the cap. This will confirm if the piston stop marks are correct or 180 out as said. No need to pull valve covers for this simple way.

K5JMP

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Oct 19, 2006
MORTUORUM VENATOR - Z.R.T.
Z28zz383 said:
Sometimes easier to do it the old timer way. Put your finger over #1 spark plug hole and have someone turn the motor clockwise with a lg socket wrench. Air stops coming out of the hole, your at tdc. Set up the dist where it points to the #1 spark plug position on the cap. This will confirm if the piston stop marks are correct or 180 out as said. No need to pull valve covers for this simple way.

the piston stop mark will be TDC if done correctly... but it could be with the intake valve open.
if so the rotor will be pointing toward the firewall..

piston is TDC 2 times for each time the rotor makes a full revoloutin.
I bump them over/finger when I can, but if rotating by hand it doesn't work too well.

bski224

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2009
Long Island NY
I will take a pic of rotor but Here is what rockers look like. All by myself in one home to help me do thumb procedure
bski224

Last edited:

Z28zz383

Veteran Member
May 11, 2012
Florida
They sure are some pretty rockers. Hey, what ever works. The piston stop is gonna be the most accurate by far. Finger method is shade tree stuff....The part I always fight with is indexing the oil pump drive and getting the dist to seat where I want it to.

bski224

Veteran Member
Jan 31, 2009
Long Island NY
I think I have a bigger prob now. I spun motor by hand and it looks lime my exhaust rocker arm not moving. prob fuc**d my pushrod or valve when doing piston stop.

Z28zz383

Veteran Member
May 11, 2012
Florida
OH crap! Angle plug heads? Some one talked on here about that happening if the piston stop gets in the valve opening. I sure hope that ain't the case....I have angle plug heads and was scared to do the stop method. Damn..sounds like you have the same luck as me.....

Latest posts