DIY Painters- Need gun suggestion

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Jeep43, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

I have an old Finishline 2 gravity HVLP gun I have had for years and 4 cars under its belt and would keep using it but it needs parts which are hard to come by and might as well pick up something new.

I'm panel painting my camaro in my garage, not a booth using bc/cc. I am not expecting a good out of the gun finish and plan a full cut and buff.

Initially I was just going to go to the latest devilbiss Finishline 4 with a that comes with 1.3, 1.4 & 1.8 tips (I have to assume if I was happy with the FLG-2 with the plastic tips, the FLG4 must be better) but wondered what else is out there at the $200-250 price point.

Anybody use an Iwata W400 Belarria?

2. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

I recently bought the iwata you mentioned. Haven’t used it yet but did a ton of research and reviews (including against the devilbis finish line) before deciding and most Reviewers preferred the Iwata Including a few collision body shops Using on a daily basis. Seems really well built and on par with the quality of my older binks and devilbis siphon feed guns that were US made. I ordered with 1.3 tip but likely will pick up a 1.5 as well

3. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

I've got a conventional Iwata W400 gravity 1.3, it has that weird looking tip that really atomizes the paint well... I believe they are in the price range if looking.
    This is straight out of the booth no sanding no polishing - dead flat.
    IMG_6932.JPG

Canadian Barton and brooksman9 like this.
  4. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

Pay once. I loved the DEV prolite so much I ended up buying a second one.
    I had the finishline and it was a piece of crap. If you want to stay with DEV try a prolite for the extra $100 once you use it you'll understand right away; additionally, that generally goes for every good gun vs lower quality.
    I should mention just like my other post was impressed with their customer service. They helped me very quick and I'm on the wrong side of the boarder.

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

I got devilblis starting line 2 gun setup, Im no professional, but it seems to lay the paint ok. Most of the issues I encounter are user errors. I had a guy who used to paint for a living tell me, its 75% technique and 25% gun. He said he painted a show car using a house paint electric gun one time to prove the point.

6. secondgenaddict

secondgenaddict Veteran Member

Prep is 90% of a paint job... most home restoration guys are not meticulous enough regarding their prep which is why the jobs look like oceans.
    FWIW I have painted cars owned by NASCAR team owners with a $25 harbor freight gun.
    Would I do it now?
    NO.
    WHY?
    The film thickness is inconsistent and surface looked like a naval orange so I had to put on an extra coat or two in order to block the car ultra smooth.
    I have a much better booth now, so I do not have to block cars out as much after shooting so the smoother it is out of the booth the less work I have to do AFTER shooting.

What ever you do as someone without a professional air set up... run a couple of moisture traps prior to the regulator and run a bulb filter at the gun... moisture and oil are your worst enemies.

wiseryder likes this.
  7. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Red70Z

Satajet, never look back

wiseryder likes this.
  8. jester1

jester1 Veteran Member

I hear the new ones come with vaseline... :eek::D