Do springs actually settle?

G72Zed

Veteran Member
Sep 8, 2015
Canada
If all the bushings were tq'd up under full droop, I would try to loosen up under full weight and bounce it and let it settle, tq them 1/2 way and go for a slow/bumpy ride.

Re measure to see if they changed. A good spring that holds it's rate will have minimal change.

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
Ive seen time and time again new springs always sit higher.
And the manufacturer will always swear they made them exactly to spec.
So,I guess todays steel is stronger than yesterdays.
Either the bushing thing as mentioned,or the "clocking',other than that,it is what it is.
You can cut a half coil for an inch drop,but the more you cut,the stiffer the spring gets.

1978 Z/28

Veteran Member
Jul 17, 2017
New Brunswick
I waited till the engine and everything was in before I torqued the bushings, I have an camera on a cord for phone so I could check position of end of spring.

hd_cat

Veteran Member
Sep 6, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
I have put about 7 km or about 4 miles on my camaro at less than 40km or 25mph. I like the look of the back but the front is a high. Will the front settle or is that an old wives tale. From centre of wheel to lip of fender 16 inches both sides.
I would like the front down about 1 1/2 inches. I will drive it like this for this year
Springs are Eaton MC1288
thanks for any reply's View attachment 145838
I installed new Moog springs in the '79, I cut one coil from the springs and located the bottom coil in the pocket of the lower A-frame.

Attachments

• IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 45

EatonSpring

Oct 22, 2009
Detroit, MI
First Thank You for buying our springs. A few tips when installing coils springs. 1st, do not tighten anything up until the car is at least 97.7% complete. Remember springs support weight and all that stuff that is not yet installed equal weight.

Second, make sure the car is sitting on the ground and on the wheels and tires that she will be riding on before tightening things up.

Third, if she is equipped with a sway bar, take it loose before tightening things up. Jacking the car up and taking the control arm loose when changing the coils have been know to let the sway bar get in the wrong position when putting in new coils. So take it loose when changing the springs so it goes back into the right place.

Finally after all the work is done....drive her. And I mean like you stole her. Get those springs to work, let 'em flex, let 'em take a seat.

pooch400

Feb 21, 2012
waterbury
I have put about 7 km or about 4 miles on my camaro at less than 40km or 25mph. I like the look of the back but the front is a high. Will the front settle or is that an old wives tale. From centre of wheel to lip of fender 16 inches both sides.
I would like the front down about 1 1/2 inches. I will drive it like this for this year
Springs are Eaton MC1288
thanks for any reply's View attachment 145838
If you have the old front shocks, put them back in. The springs will settle the first half inch quickly. The other half inch will take a couple of hundred miles. Eaton Detroit Springs make very nice springs that settle quickly if you want it lower.

third_edition

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 7, 2004
Braeside, Ontario, Canada
+ 1 for what G72zed said... IMHO springs do not (or should not) change after they have been installed. If my new car started to sag a few months after I bought it, the dealer would be hearing about it! If your using stock bushings, they are designed to twist as opposed to turn and they can definitely hold a vehicle at a higher level. One last thing, it has been my observation that 2nd Gens ride high in the front (check out the number of threads on this).
Cheers,
George

Reactions: Zee

Zee

Veteran Member
Feb 6, 2000
Montgomery IL
Straight from Eaton Detroit's website: "Correctly matched springs will settle no more than 1/4 to 1/2 Inch once the car is finished and driven. Any more than that means something is not right. And, no leaf springs will not settle any more than coil springs, nor will coil springs settle any more than leaf springs."

krabben1

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 16, 2007
( . Y . )Delco
Straight from Eaton Detroit's website: "Correctly matched springs will settle no more than 1/4 to 1/2 Inch once the car is finished and driven. Any more than that means something is not right. And, no leaf springs will not settle any more than coil springs, nor will coil springs settle any more than leaf springs."

If only they could(or would) differentiate Nova leaf springs from Camaro leaf springs,that would be great.

Latest posts