do you consider this a raise?

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
I haven't had a raise in over 3 years. wifes ready to retire come June or sooner ( just depending on how she feels about her job) I'm 59, we can get by on my wife's check or retirement pretty easy , ( thing about not living like a rock star all these years) everything is paid off, including 2 homes (1 is a rental) So my wife says go to work, let them know 0 overtime from now on due to lack of any incentives, if they don't like it, let them fire you or just give notice and get all the stuff done around the house. I'll be 62 in 25 months, SS a pension from the newspaper and we did okay in our 401k so 3 paychecks for me, 3 for my wife SS federal retirement and 401k. well be fine. jim
They are not allowed to force you to work overtime so, the lawsuit can be your retirement if they fire you for not doing it.

dcozzi

Veteran Member
May 1, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
Could be worse…salary…work more and no extra pay.
The laws here do not allow businesses to not pay for overtime, even if you are salary. A couple of companies got sued for this and lost. One of them was a separate division of the place I was working at the time.

BillyDean7173

Final Six
May 21, 2014
Hutto, TX
I'll be 62 in 25 months, SS a pension from the newspaper and we did okay in our 401k so 3 paychecks for me, 3 for my wife SS federal retirement and 401k. well be fine. jim
That's great, Jim and the way to do it. I was taught early on about the three-legged stool (retirement/pension, SS, and investments/401k) and to get your stuff paid off as soon as possible. If people can do that, like you and your wife did, chances are pretty good they will do okay.

Jimmac

Veteran Member
Dec 24, 2013
tucson az
went in and told my supervisor here's the deal. since they can't afford raises, I'm not worried about the raises. just expect me to do my 40 hours and call it good. I told him I really do like the people, like the work, love to get done at the end of the day and see my production. nice to go into work because I want to not have to. jim

gramps

Veteran Member
Jul 5, 2009
mankato, mn
I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for those that agreed to a “salary”. You agreed to the terms that no matter for the better or worse to work your arse off for x amount period. There are benefits to salary based pay too but most of the time it’s benefitting the company.

As for considering OT a raise? Hahahaha hell no that’s not a raise. “Allowing” you to work more hours for the state or fed mandated minimum reward is in no way a raise. A raise means you get paid more for the same work you are already doing. Period.

They pulled that crap on me too in 2020…. I was offered a job at higher pay. Significantly higher.
My boss who I’m close with (hell we live a block apart our kids attend the same school/daycare) I informed of the situation. So he goes to his boss and his boss and his boss comes back with a stupid offer like that…..you can make the same if you work x amount of overtime. Yeah ok. Because I’m single have no life and want to be a slave or robot. Nope. I bring $1,000,000 a year in sales to the company I know what my time is valued at, and working another 20 hours a week is not included in that figure.
I told my boss he had 24 hours to figure something out with his boss, I was insulted and ready to walk.
Next morning we hashed it out and I’m still there. Coming up on 10 years with the company.

Latest posts