Do you install all the accessories then drop the engine in?

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
When I pulled my engine out with the tranny I removed everything since it was going to the builder. Should I drop the engine/tranny back in and THEN install all the pulleys, smog pump, alternator etc? Or install as much as I can before dropping the engine/tranny in. What do you guys/gals do?

77z28327

Veteran Member
Sep 16, 2012
Pensacola, FL
I dropped my engine in bare. A little less weight and easier to move around. I have a old school basic small block so I can get to everything easily with the engine in the car.

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
77z28327 said:
I dropped my engine in bare. A little less weight and easier to move around. I have a old school basic small block so I can get to everything easily with the engine in the car.

That makes sense.

kenny77

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Jul 31, 2001
Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Put the water pump on for sure, and the balancer and crank pulley too. The rest of it like the alternator, PS, and A/C can be bolted on when it's in. Place your headers in the engine compartment tied to the side before you drop the engine in. Starter is optional deal here....I've always put my starters on later from underneath the car at kinda the same time I bolt up the pass side header.

Do NOT go installing the carb or distributer until it's in the car....but you knew that....right?

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
No carb or distributor.
I left the PS Pump connected to the steering box and the A/C compressor connected to the hoses.

oayum0.jpg

Shorty headers drop in bolted to the heads (even with A/C) but I decided it would be too heavy with the transmission attached. ;)

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
Carb can't go on because that's where my loop plate is installed with long bolts where the cherry picker connects.

Mike76Rally

Veteran Member
Jan 6, 2013
Canon City, CO
Dropped it in like in Twisted Metal's pic without the alternator...we laid the headers on the subframe and as we lowered the engine/tranny in, mocked them up. we had to do it pretty slow of course but it was definitely worth it bc we didn't deal with putting the headers in later on. Just a thought

Last edited:

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Assemble as much of it as possible on a stand rather than leaning over the fenders.

Your back will thank you.

Just be careful and don't tip the cherry picker over with a transmission/engine hung together!
(Did that a couple decades ago. :mad: Busted the tailshaft housing on the trans and dented the oil pan.)

COPO

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Sep 15, 1999
Ontario, Canada
I used my tranny jack for the tranny to rest on and slide as the engine/tranny came out. I intend to use the tranny jack to support the tranny tail then move it up so it can slide into the support bar.

Latest posts