Do you really drive your car?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 71camaro383, Nov 10, 2012.

1. mickstan

mickstan Veteran Member

The Power Tour looks cool. I'd like to do that sometime. I drive mine 3 or 4 times a week during nice weather. Rain, snow....? Nope. You can't help but get caught in the rain, but I try to do my best to avoid it. I pretty much look for a reason to drive it when I can. Its reliable enough to take anywhere really. I woudn't be afraid to drive it 400 miles on a hot summer day.

2. Thunderkyss

Thunderkyss Veteran Member

You're my hero.

At the same time, this hobby is different things to different people. Some people like to drive their cars, some people like to polish them. Ain't nothing wrong with either one.

I bought a 3 year old vet with less than 20,000 miles on it because the previous owner bought it as a show piece. I put 20,000 miles on it the first year I had it, because I like to drive.

I also like to work on cars. I don't like it when they break down on me, but I like being able to fix something most people think is too complicated to deal with.

I think it's lame to denegrate one enthusiast because he doesn't think like me. These cars are a dying breed. Less & less of them will be found in the near future that are salvageable. I thank my lucky stars that there are people out there saving these cars and maintaining them so that I can drive them in the future.

3. 71camaro383

71camaro383 Veteran Member

I can do that.:)

4. 351maverick

351maverick full time Ebay seller/hustler/car killer

so...being old is your excuse for being lame?

it will NEVER be 2007 again

5. Vsolo

Vsolo Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I should have given you credit for this picture, except I forgot who took what picture :)

6. Vsolo

here a video of me doing it :)

North East Rod Run 2012 @ "Thunder Road @ Watkins Glen

Since it was live it takes till about the 4:08 mark to get us going.

It got a little exciting, We had a good group, we has some lady in a Volvo behind us (she was not with us since you pay your money you get to drive on the track)

We were on the track following the Pace Truck at some fun speeds, she fell behind, lost the group & did not realize we went around the dog leg (to the left at the 5:45 mark) she went right on the shorter road. (we found this out later)

Here is an example of planning for the "just in case" want it appears after the 7:30 Mark
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (this info below is on the video page)

(The Blue Camaro) As you watch this, think of the things that went right. We did things with safe distances and were not doing stupid things on the track.
    We were not racing each other, the truck I followed could accelerate faster than me so when were went fast I knew I would have more room. I left space going around corners.

Also you see in the corners I did not follow right behind the truck, I always made sure I could see. You can see how accelerated and you can see the Charles was doing what was comfortable for him too.

I was driving in my comfort zone too. I have owned this car for 37 plus years, it was overhauled in 2010-2011 and I put on a excellent suspension, ie Hotchkis.

It handle great and as you can see when needed it did it job and I made a nice flat turn. :)

7. Todd80Z28

Todd80Z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

What was the spin there at the end, Bill? Just goofing off?

Did you rack up all 300k miles on yours? I've put about 75k on mine in 21.5 years of owning it, most of those put on '95-'98 when I drove 45 miles/day to work and back. I've only averaged 1500-2000 miles/year since.

Like Scotty says- damn kids.:D

8. 79406RS

79406RS Veteran Member

A week ago I drove my Camaro 100+ miles to a episode filming with the Top Gear crew. Rolling along side my friend's truck, hauling the "line backers."
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  9. Vsolo

ROLF I never thought of that hahahaah You have a point there :p

10. Vsolo

That was an ooopps. When the pace car stopped (for the person in the Volvo, started behind us and could not keep up, who was now ahead of us because they got lost & took the short route.)

See the word "Road Tours" for the dog leg we took & the straightway the Volvo took :)

[​IMG]

I was still accelerating. I notice all things had stopped I went to the left & realized I was going to pass the car in front of me, (we were told not to pass) so when I pulled it back the right, the rear end let loose. We all kept a safe distance between cars "just in case" & it happened. :)

The next thing I knew I was looking at the Toyota advertising on the side wall. :cool:
    Having driving the car allot , back in the day, in the snow, it was a similar feeling and just let it go around & I think, as I was backwards I gave it the gas to stop the rear movement.

Everything happened fast & it was more of an "I've done this before (ie doing 180's on snow & dirt) so I was not worried at the time (Also the track was pretty wide there.

Now after I stopped I let out a scream and took a deep breath. We were stopped there for about 10 minutes & all talked about it.

I gathered myself up & we completed the rest of the drive with no problems. You can see that Charles has 2 videos & the other one is the rest of the ride, we also discussed the camera guys passing to get better shots.

All in All, it was a GREAT time & I did not make it on "the dumbest stuff on wheels" :shy:

Here is the link to Thunder Road Tours

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012