Do you really drive your car?

Buickfunnycar

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
BonzoHansen said:
MCJ I think you are full of sh*t until you actualy do it. You've been singing the same song for years now. You like saying you own them too much :p

Well Scotty...if this was 2007 and the $$$ was flowing like water,they'd already be gone...I'm really not into just giving them away.

Tell you what,you'll be the first one I contact when I sell one...:)

Earlsfat

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
351maverick said:
this thread is sad...why own a car & not drive it?

...just to sit around a bar & proclaim "yeah I've got a SWEET 79 Camaro, 3/4 cam, 500 horse...I'll put a $100 bill on the dash & see if you can grab it when I take off" blah blah blah

what is everybody's problem who does not drive their cars (other than the projects?) scared to scratch the pretty paint?

Not really practical, and safety is my primary concern... as soon as the safety issues are resolved it's on like Donkey Kong.

BonzoHansen

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Jun 1, 2005
Scott from Hamilton, NJ
musclecarjohn said:
Well Scotty...if this was 2007 and the $$$ was flowing like water,they'd already be gone...I'm really not into just giving them away.

Tell you what,you'll be the first one I contact when I sell one...:)
I will be proud to be the 1st to say no lol

dwright406

Veteran Member
Jul 26, 2004
Lake Jackson Tx
351maverick said:
this thread is sad...why own a car & not drive it?

...just to sit around a bar & proclaim "yeah I've got a SWEET 79 Camaro, 3/4 cam, 500 horse...I'll put a $100 bill on the dash & see if you can grab it when I take off" blah blah blah

what is everybody's problem who does not drive their cars (other than the projects?) scared to scratch the pretty paint?
I used to drive mine quite a bit up until last year. I put it up when I started the restoration on Wes' 72 Z, and I'm committed to finishing his car and getting it back to him before I spend any more time on my own.

When I kept my '70 here at the house I would go out in the garage and keep in maintained all the time, but now that I keep it in a garage across town it's just a hassle. Now when I get time to go over there I have to deal with stale gas, dead batteries, fouled spark plugs, I usually have to clear a path to get it out of the garage, clean all the dust and cobwebs, etc.
Then once I get it up and running I get to deal with the poor street manners it has with a huge cam, big stall converter and 6mpg's to boot.

The street scene around here isn't what it used to be. People don't care about a car like this anymore, there are very few hot rods around my area.
Also as I get older I don't care to be the center of attention on the street anymore. I'm a lot more laid back and low-key than I was before I had kids.
Now I prefer to just blend in and not draw attention to myself.

I still love the car though, it's still in really good condition and is only going up in value.
And even though it rarely moves anymore I actually had someone spot it sitting in the garage over there and contact me about buying it a couple of weeks ago.
After that conversation I went over there and took a couple of pics of how it sits.

003-1.jpg

006.jpg

I feel like right now it isn't costing me anything to keep it, I'm still pretty attached to the car because I put a ton of work into it, and I'm thinking I'd like to drop an LSX / T56 in it in the future, when the time is right, and start enjoying it again.

Last edited:

fnoblitt

Veteran Member
Jul 4, 2009
riverside calif.
well, i plan to drive the dog poo out of mine. if i can ever get it finished.i've never gotten to drive it yet.bought it as a basket case,it's been 3+years and about $15,000 invested. working on the paint gremlins now. i can't hardly wait .:)

bsievers1616

Veteran Member
Sep 20, 2010
Plano, TX
dang, that was depressing

musclecarjohn said:
No,for me it's just I've lost all desires to do anything with them,which even includes starting them,just lost the desire and got bitter with the hobby.

I was never even a fan of the thumbs-up people would display when I drove by them,usually I wouldn't even look their way.I never wanted to converse with anyone who was interested in the cars since I built them for me and could not give a rats ass about anyone elses opinions,hence the reason why I rarely if ever showed them.
In fact,taking them out almost always resulted in conversations I didn't want to participate in,another reason it became a chore taking them out.

I was in a local club several years ago that got really ugly so I left and it seems when I did,I lost all my interest and trust me,it's not coming back.
I used to frequent all the car boards and kept up to date on all the latest double-throw down parts,wheels and widgets and now I don't even bother.

My tastes and lifestyle have changed,what I used to enjoy I don't anymore so I will dispose of these cars when the time and market are right starting next year.I agree just sitting around aren't doing them any good but you have to understand,these emotions cannot be turned on and off like a lightswitch...it doesn't quite work that way.

The only time I ever want to drive them again is over an auction block just before they get hammered sold...in fact when the time comes to attempt to start them,I'll have them towed over to a buddy's shop to prep them for sale and then have him drive them back home...I really have no desire...and I know many of you cannot or are not willing to understand that.

The only time I will miss them is when I just want to roll up the doors and stare at them with a cold beer in hand,that and hand-polishing them listening to some good rock 'n roll was what I enjoyed most.

Carry on,lol...:p

fbody_mike

Veteran Member
Mar 24, 2009
San Gabriel Valley, California
I drive mine whenever I can, which is very often. But then again, everything I do to it, I keep in mind that it is a street car. The one problem is that there is very little ground clearance, but careful driving takes care of that. The one major plus is that I live in an area that is friendly to the car hobby 12 months of the year. I spent many months in the New England area this year, and if I lived there permanently my car would be "put-away" right now.

camarochevy1970

Veteran Member
Jan 23, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
musclecarjohn said:
I was never even a fan of the thumbs-up people would display when I drove by them,usually I wouldn't even look their way.I never wanted to converse with anyone who was interested in the cars since I built them for me and could not give a rats ass about anyone elses opinions,hence the reason why I rarely if ever showed them.
In fact,taking them out almost always resulted in conversations I didn't want to participate in,another reason it became a chore taking them out.

Given this portrayal of how you are, I don't think the collector car community is going to miss you when you sell out. I would say you are definitely in the minority with how you chose to interact with everyone else and other car owners.

twood

Veteran Member
Feb 3, 2012
Glen Morris, ON Canada
I own a 10 fter sport coupe. I worked on it to get it legal and on the road. I will always work, repair it just to drive it. It is far from "garage candy". Ive always had nice drivable cars, so the camaro is no different. Its a usable toy...

Latest posts