Do You Sometimes Feel Like a Hero At Times Fixing Something For Someone

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Sep 15, 2020.

1. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Last week I sold a guy my Holley 1000HP on Craigslist and told the guy I had that and a 750 Demon for sale. Based upon his builder and the guy who sold him the engine that was supposed to make 800hp LOL I said he should go with the smaller one. He calls the shop which does have a very good reputation on google tells him the 1000 is what you need so he buys it. Two days later I get a text that his builder now says the carb is too big and they cannot tune it for his BBC. He calls me the day later and said the car got towed home as it was running good then died. Now I don't normally help a lot of people tune things anymore but this guy was really nice and seemed pretty legit. Turns out everyone has screwed him over so I went over to look at the car.

When I got there he has a 72 Chevelle with a 496 in it, so he shows me what's wrong and I said it has no fuel to the carb. They just put a new fuel pump in and told him that's not the problem and it is indeed the Holley that's bad. I pull the fuel line off and had him crank the car over and sure enough no fuel. Now this guy cannot turn a wrench but has a ton of tools and really nice cars but when he told me he paid 10K for this 496 I said you got robbed. I pulled the fuel pump off and it was not on the pump rod, fixed that, then I got it running, set the Holley (after it flooded now) and ran the car up to temp. I also set his Timing as the had it at 28° total and I put it at 36°. The car ran really good and his wife came out an mentioned that he paid over $700 for them to tune the car. Within a hour and a half I had the car running like a top.

His son came out to see dad's car running and was really happy and the kid told me I fix things just like his Grandpa, I like that kid. When I was done he asked how much I needed for the work? "Nothing I told him I was happy to fix it right to help you out" no way was he having any of that. The guy takes a Hundred dollar bill and sticks in my back pocket and tells me "you are the best tuner ever".
    Funny thing was his neighbor cam over and I know him from the track years ago and when I left he thanked me for helping this guy out. He also has a 42K mile 66 Caprice with a 327 and a 39 Chev, get this that has Hemi heads on it. From what I saw it sure looks like it and I did get a picture of the engine. He told me his Grandpa built it and each head was 5K. I wonder if they are some of the old Smokey Yunick heads that he made for the 302? Anyhow I have a new found friend for life, it was worth fixing his car to see the look on his face when the car ran perfect.

2. xten

xten Veteran Member

You not only fixed his car, but it sounds like it goes deeper than that. Maybe you showed him that there are still good, unselfish people out there. WTG

3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Good for you man, not many people do stuff like that for others now. People are so hung up on what to buy or do to "make them happy". Giving your time and skills to help others is really the only thing that makes a person happy. If you had just hung up on the guy or not returned his text, you would have missed out on all that.

1980RS likes this.
  4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

I do like helping people who get ripped off, his neighbor is a certified electrician that is going to put some 220 service in my garage for me. He also showed me his new shop, it was a work of art. Would love to have a shop like that, funny think was he told me he has 57K in it but he would rather have the new shop over a new C8 Corvette, can't argue with that one.

5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Good on you. Here's a quote;

I have come to a simple conclusion - there is no better therapy than do good feel good.” ― Amit Abraham

6. Z28PILOT

Z28PILOT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

From across the street , I watched my neighbor who was 77 struggling with a good sized tree stump removal. It was in an awful spot beside the driveway in front of his home , which is like 150 feet from my house. I don't think he ever had done anyhing like this , he was a desk person his whole life. Good to see him still trying at his age , he had twelve axes, hatchets , shovels , saw ..etc ...he was sitting on the edge of the trench he dug out looking whipped and beat , i had gave him three days , i understand pride . I took my axe sledge over there and asked could i lend a hand. Sweat was running off him like crazy. He smiled. I hit it a few good licks on several large roots deep. It was on a 15 %!slope at least bside his drive. I backed up the 4Runner hooked a chain to it 5 seconds latter the stump was laying in the middle of his driveway. I dragged to off to a location below our homes for city to pickup. Filled in his giant trench . He was working way way way to hard . 25 minutes . Not a hero one bit , but trying to pay back the world for helping me when it was obvious i needed it at various points in my life.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  7. biker

biker Veteran Member

Exactly! If everyone worked on that level of currency, we would all be better off.

8. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

No school like the old school. Neighbors helping each other out and showing compassion and pride. I wish it was more like that today.

Last time was awhile back. I saw someone stranded in traffic because their car had died in the road. I turned around, pulled in behind them and flipped on the hazard lights. Pushed the car into a parking lot. Dude was amazed someone even helped him.

9. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

20200914_193614_HDR.jpg Here is a picture of the Hemi headed SBC he has. Would like to get a better one. Next time over I will ask and bring my film camera.

jeff swisher likes this.
  10. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Great work, Bob!
    I wish there were more people willing to lend a hand!

I try to provide as much information as I can on this forum but I haven't done much hands-on heroism recently.

dave@ztech and 1972_Z-28 like this.