Do You Sometimes Feel Like a Hero At Times Fixing Something For Someone

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Sep 15, 2020.

1. dcozzi

dcozzi Veteran Member

Think of how modern and advanced that was in it's time. It still looks cool today.

Patstuff28 and 1980RS like this.
  2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

yeah wish we could chaulk that up as being "neighbors". It USED to be that way.....thats what I learned growing up.....then seems once i moved then moved ...then moved...."WTF are neighbors?"....everybody shuttered up inside, kid rides by the house doesn't even wave...or reply...I walked over to each house on the street (about 8) to introduce myself, my cars (pre-kids..) asked about theirs????/....crickets..... We had already been there 6 months!!! :(
    I guess it REALLY does depend on the area your in.

dave@ztech and 1980RS like this.
  3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

I have good neighbors...THANK GOD. We weren't to sure about being in a subdivision when we moved in 3½ years ago...but we took a gamble. So far so good. Neighbors on each side are older and super friendly. One down hill from me was trying to take the bed shell off his Chevy truck by himself. I was in the garage and heard him grumbling so I went to investigate. As soon as I saw what he was trying to do...I ran over to assist him take it off and lay it on the grass.

The neighbor up hill....I've changed his lawnmower blades and helped several times to move heavy objects around in his garage or unload something out of his van. Even went over to take his over-the-range microwave off the wall when it stopped working and put the new one in when he got it.

Across the street is a couple just a few years younger than me with 3 kids less than 4 years old. They only had a push mower at the time...it was the Friday before Father's Day and his yard was looking pretty shabby. I had noticed that he struggled to cut his grass when he did since his yard is mostly sloped. I was already mowing mine so when I got done, I just went over and cut his entire yard with my zero turn. Told him Happy Father's Day.

gramps, dave@ztech, roadrace2 and 4 others like this.
  4. biker

biker Veteran Member

Yep, it is good to be that guy. I have lots of older neighbours and my boys and I do anything they need done. I get paid in garden vegetables.

5. xten

xten Veteran Member

I know this may be a weird question, (maybe a bit morbid) but, how do you want to be remembered? I don't want to be remembered as a greedy cheap selfish prick, that's for sure. Maybe a bit self-serving to a point, but it makes me feel good to go the extra mile, especially when people appreciate or even notice your efforts.
    We try to go the extra mile with every car we repair. Give them more than what they're actually paying for.

6. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Well I guess we are neighbors, you're just a little north of me so come on over. I got a lot of stuff you you guys to do. LOL.

7. biker

biker Veteran Member

HA true, MN isn't too far a shot... I just got a basket of cucumbers for fixing a roto tiller. Beat that. Actually I think if I ended up at your place, I would come out on the better end of the deal. Unless you needed lots of stuff lifted.

8. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Now in my 60s, I have friends with elderly parents on limited income. When their cars go bad, they can’t possibly afford fixing them. Recently my friends mom’s a/c went out. The dealer charged her $125 to diagnose it. I opened the hood and could see a hole in the side of the compressor where it grenaded. They wrote on the sheet $3000 to fix it! This is the dealer she’s been using for everything including oil changes since she bought the car. After chewing out the service manager on the phone for taking her money, I had her son order the parts and I repaired it for free a few weeks later. Still chaps my ass that dealer was such a crook!

9. Bikefixr

Bikefixr Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Compared to 99% of the people in my circle, I can do a lot of things pretty well. I do 90% of my own work on my house, cars and so on. Doing a large hardscape project right now. And I'm pretty generous with my time. My wife says I help out too much because it interferes with our projects too often. I get it. What I don't appreciate is when someone expects me to help, or do something for them just because I have the skills and they're too cheap to pay someone. I retired very early at 55. I worked hard to be able to do that, and because I'm home a lot, there's some idea that I have nothing to do and that my time has no value so of course I want to spend my weekend putting up your ceiling fan, adding a circuit and then fixing the 5 fault codes on your filthy 15 yr old car.

10. biker

biker Veteran Member

I live in that dynamic right now. I'm learning to recognize the people who truly need help and those who just want to use your skills because it's cheaper for them. Part of what drives me is altruism (I do love helping people) but if I'm going to be honest, part of it is also me liking a challenge and trying to prove to myself and others that I can figure anything out and do it. A destructive character flaw if left unchecked.