Do You Sometimes Feel Like a Hero At Times Fixing Something For Someone

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 1980RS, Sep 15, 2020.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

High 5 on that work on the Chevelle.

I had a guy ask me on Camaros.net about Muncie trannies where I would take mine to get rebuilt,
    cause when he wound up his car to redline the clutch gave out when the stupid weights off a center force
    pressure plate broke off and jammed his tranny in 1 gear. He thought since it needs a new clutch kit why not
    check out the health of the Muncie.

I told him I don’t trust any shop to work on my stuff and I do it myself. He sounded shocked that someone
    would know this kind of sh!t and be doing this from their home. But in ‘81 I took a night school course on
    rebuilding the Muncie trans along with an automatic tranny.

So he asked if I could just look at it and tell him what it needed. I could pretty much tell what was needed
    by just looking through the side cover and shifting it and looking at the worn engagement edges. He then
    talked about driving to Syracuse NY to a tranny place and stay in town for a night so he could get the trans
    rebuilt. He got an estimate and I guess he didn’t like their price so he asked if I could do it and he’d pay me.
    I said, hmm, I don’t know. Well ok and I told him you can help me by cleaning the parts.

So I took it apart and told him what it needed and he ordered the parts. He bought me supper up the street
    and also paid me. He was happier than pig sh!t. I even said I’d help him install the tranny which I did where
    he had it on a lift at a friends place who had a huge shop at the end of his property.

We started to hang out a bit, he invited my wife and I over for dinner and we returned the invite as well.
    Had beer and wings at a wings place one other night. Went to some cruises and shows and also visited
    Legendary Auto one day to drool over the cars. I spoke with Pete Klute who still remembered me from
    25 yrs ago.

So this hobby also gets you to meet different people. I’ve met up with several Nasty members that live close by
    and enjoy checking out their rides and fixing the odd problem for them.

One of the Vendors I worked with at a Data Centre told me his friend has a 70 Chevelle and it’s not running
    right and the guy thinks it’s carb related and whether I could look at it. I said sure, drop by anytime.
    I’ve been working on cars since 1970 which is when I started my 1st yr in HS Auto Shop among the other shop
    classes I took and still enjoy it.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    dave@ztech likes this.
  2. mudtrux

mudtrux Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You're a great guy Bob!

1980RS likes this.
  3. biker

biker Veteran Member

Nice work Mark. I still appreciate your advice, sending me to Roger to put my short block together. You showed up there to meet me too which was nice. Wish I was closer. Take a night course on the tko 600 if I ever need you!

4. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

It's almost like you are talking about my Family members LOL. For a minute there I thought you are talking about my older Sister :)
    God knows I love her but sometimes she just does the stupidest things... like getting her car towed to my place when it broke down in the middle of winter.
    Garage is full so ended up doing a timing belt on a V6 Mazda outside in -20C. There's more, too many to mention here LOL.

But in return my Kids gets all the rewards in the end. They were both spoiled silly by Her (don't know if that is a good thing or not LOL).

dave@ztech likes this.
  5. ChevyReb

ChevyReb Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a young adult in tech school that works maintenance at a lumber mill (my wife got him in there, she's regional HR mgr) he works on 2 older trucks and sometimes asks to borrow tools so i loan them and he always brings them back wiped down clean. He is pretty good at fixing stuff and has never asked for help yet. It-s nice to finally be the guy loaning the tools vs. The one asking to borrow them! Makes me feel good.

6. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Do you Folks remember this book? The guy reads most of the book. All the stories here made me think of it. I have done my share of helping people out. It is nice to be able to fix things but when it gets a little crazy with people showing up to fix stuff. Sometimes I have to say sorry I don't have time.

7. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Hey dude, how's it going?

8. riderwestslope

riderwestslope Veteran Member

Helping others is something I've tried to instill in my boys. The other night we came across a lady who had broken down on the side of the road. She asked if we had a gas can, she was out of fuel. I said no, but I got a couple of energetic young men. We pushed her car about a block and a half right into the pumps at the gas station. She couldn't hardly believe it. We told her it was no biggie and went on our way. I've also been that person broke down on the side of the road, and it's very nice when someone lends you a hand.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    gramps likes this.
  9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I remember coming out of a store and some ladies car wouldn’t crank over due to a low battery. I told her that I have a jumper pack if she wanted a boost. She said sure. I boosted her batt and she was on her way stoked.