Doc's Toy Shop 73 motion clone project...

Discussion in 'Oklahoma Region' started by CamaroDoc, Aug 1, 2019.

1. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

This car is the first Camaro I ever bought and it has suffered near terminal "back-burner-itis" from day one, over 23 years ago. I got it from a dirt tracker friend who had already reduced it to a rolling shell with no doors or front clip. This is the car that started me off on my quest for 70-81 parts and cars that hasn't slowed up a bit. I almost had the body fleshed out at one point, but then people started begging me to sell them parts back off of it a piece at a time, to the point where even the front subframe got sold and the car could no longer be even moved around without a major effort.

[​IMG]

Here it is in it's most progressed form... Bear in mind the doors are Firebird and were only on the car to keep rain out and the fiberglass hood was just sitting on it for lack of a better place to store it at the moment.

[​IMG]

2. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

The ultimate goal for this 73 is to build a street / strip car to have fun with on weekends. I want the car to, as closely as possible, resemble a 70 Baldwin Motion Phase III car without doing any crazy body surgery or mods. The car has a few bumps, bruises, and surface rust but has absolutely no cancer anywhere. The floors and frame rails are absolutely solid which is one reason I have held on to it for all these years. It's lived in indoor storage for almost all of the time I have owned it, regardless of it's back burner status.

A while back, The rear end was swapped for a 3.73 posi unit from a 77 T/A. I have a rebuilt Super T-10 four speed from a 76 Corvette stashed away in deep hiding lest someone spot it and start the whole "Man, I really need that" conversation all over again. The engine will be a 12:1 compression 427 dressed up old school. Parts on hand already include: TRW forged 12:1 pistons, worked 781 cast iron heads, forged crank, good rods, custom ground "Big Johnson" cam, original Edelbrock Torker intake, Holley 850 double pumper, tweaked HEI distributor, vintage M/T cast valve covers, and the signature "fly eye" air cleaner.

Interior wise, this car will be getting as many of the signature 70 parts as I can possibly throw on it. Some parts will be intentionally omitted and others will be lightened in true racer fashion without having the car look like a stripped down drag car. Also in deep hiding, I have a set of freshly re-covered 70 buckets to go in the car. I have almost all of the pieces for the 70 deluxe door panels which will be as closely approximated as possible with out spending the big bucks to have the door panels redone. I have a usable set of the 70 sun visors and will be using the 70 subframe, stainless drip rails, weatherstrip channels, rocker mouldings, 70 A/C vents, glove box door, seat belts, etcetera from this most recent 70 parts car or parts from my inventory. My thoughts are that if I can get most of this stuff installed on the car it will make it less likely for me to be talked out of them...

70 parts car...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
    71RSLS and BillyDean7173 like this.
  3. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

WHOLLY CRAP, that took some work just to unbury it from where it was at, not to mention putting all the parts on it. Congrats Britt :)

4. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

Looking forward to seeing this build, Doc. Hope you can make it to the DFW swap meet this year.

5. dave@ztech

[email protected] Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sounds like a really fun build, my favorite paint scheme , and a really fun car, I will be watching !!

6. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Actually, those are both really old pics of the car. The shot that has the front clip on it was when I was moving it into the shop 7 years ago. The rolling shell pic is probably 5 years old. Every piece of sheet metal in those pics are long gone, as well as the subframe that was under the car. Right now the body shell is pushed back in the back corner on jack stands and buried in stuff. The 70 parts car is sitting in front of it as it comes apart. I'm off work all next week and finishing off the 70 and getting a lot of junk removed is on the agenda. I have so much scrap metal sitting around, it has started taking up shop space... Totally unacceptable... I am going to be hauling off the flood truck next week and the bed will be full of scrap when it goes...

7. gutted72

gutted72 Veteran Member

What the hell Britt, why would you play with us like that, 5 and 7 year old pictures, that's just wrong.

8. 71RSLS

71RSLS Veteran Member

Very nice project you have here! I am in the process of collecting parts to build my parts car into a RS/SS clone. It is already an RS, but I want another RS/SS. Haha