Does anyone know how to find production volumes for 1972 Camaros built after the mid-model year change that added the 3 point seat belt system?

FredWeber

May 5, 2022
I have a post mid-year change Z-28 and am wondering how many were built since there were only 2575 total Z-28 built in 1972. My VIN is in the low 160000's and I purchased the car new.

FredWeber

May 5, 2022
Gary,
Thanks! I looked through a printout of that info 4 or 5 times and still missed the production by month. Unfortunately I do not know the change implementation date. I factory ordered my car and the features were a surprise when it showed up at the dealer. Back then I was a GMI co-op student (General Motors Institute now Kettering University) and I was able to get a phone number to call the production scheduling group at Norwood and get the car expedited before the strike hit.

My car is unusual in that it is the THM-400 and Spring Green (a 1972 only GM color) with White stripes and of course the mid-model year changes. Only one time did I ever see another Z-28 wearing the same colors and that was from a distance.
Camaro Side View.jpg

unrestored72Z

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Gary,
Thanks! I looked through a printout of that info 4 or 5 times and still missed the production by month. Unfortunately I do not know the change implementation date. I factory ordered my car and the features were a surprise when it showed up at the dealer. Back then I was a GMI co-op student (General Motors Institute now Kettering University) and I was able to get a phone number to call the production scheduling group at Norwood and get the car expedited before the strike hit.

My car is unusual in that it is the THM-400 and Spring Green (a 1972 only GM color) with White stripes and of course the mid-model year changes. Only one time did I ever see another Z-28 wearing the same colors and that was from a distance. View attachment 140371

Welcome aboard Fred, so we are to believe your 72 is all original? If so, your car might settle some "72" debates.
First off, nice color, as you can expect, I havent seen that color before.
First and I assume others will add questions, does your real spoiler have a foil decal or metal Z28 emblem? This is often a debate, some say the foil decal didnt come til 73, others say they were on at least some of the 72's if not all?
We could all use some photos of your 72...for us 72 owners trying to replicate an origonal 72
My also has the 3 piece belt syatem, and has a build date of the first week of March I think, is that what 03 A equals?

Last edited:

FredWeber

May 5, 2022
Gary,

GM typically targeted mid-year change implementation roughly mid-January. If I take half of January and the rest of the production that estimates 13,057 total Camaros with mid-model changes. Z-28 total production was 2575 which is 3.75% of the total 68,649 Camaro Production. Applying 3.75% to the 13,057 estimate suggests 490 Z-28's with mid-model changes. YES everyone there are ASSumptions and I get that. But it was common back then to build high option content cars early in the model year to fill the dealer network and the Z-28 option had the highest price tag.

My VIN is in the 166200's. Who out there has the lowest VIN with mid-model seat belt system changes? (Shoulder harness clip into lap belt buckle instead of 2 seperate belts and buckles

FredWeber

May 5, 2022
Welcome aboard Fred, so we are to believe your 72 is all original? If so, your car might settle some "72" debates.
First and I assume others will add questions, does your real spoiler have a foil decal or metal Z28 emblem? This is often a debate, some say the foil decal didnt come til 73, others say they were on at least some of the 72's if not all?
We could all use some photos of your 72...for us 72 owners trying to replicate an origonal 72
My also has the 3 piece belt syatem, and has a build date of the first week of March I think, is that what 03 A equals?
OK, I can help. Yes the rear spoiler did have a foil sticker Z-28 emblem. When my car was repainted, I lost that marking. I do have a replacement but have not put it on. I also replaced the front spoiler after this picture was taken. Since the rear facing surface of the spoiler is curved, not a great place for a metal emblem with no place to attach mounting pins. My car hit the road again in the Spring of 2021 after about 15 years in the garage.

I'll have to work on pictures as I go through the spring clean-up.

FredWeber

May 5, 2022
My car is a street driven survivor. Not original but not heavily changed either. Engine is original with 0.030 overbore rebuild. Original Holly 780 carb and intake with a ½" spacer added between. Currently running stainless long tube Hooker headers into 2½ inch Flowmaster exhaust (transverse muffler behind axle). Last spring I did add a HEI distributor and geared starter for convenience. Mainfolds and AIR pump removed for the first set of headers at about 6,000 miles. THM-400 was core swapped for a rebuilt one many years ago and has a govenor that places 1-2 shift at 6,500 RPM with emergency 1-2 shift at 7,000 (factory was 6,000 and 6,500). AM radio changed many years ago and steering wheel replaced with 4 stainless spoke Oldsmobile "Sport Option" wheel in the first year of ownership.

unrestored72Z

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Great stuff Fred, we will all wait for pictures. Regardimg the real spoiler decal, is it possible the mid year change was also to go the foil decal which was correct for all 73's? Either way, we now have an original owner on the record stating 72's got the foil decal, which has been a point of contention around here.
The few 70s and all 71s that got the tall spoiler did get the metal emblem thus although the spoiler is curved as you said, it was accepted procedure at the time.
Any pictures available of your car prior to re-paint?

FredWeber

May 5, 2022
Great stuff Fred, we will all wait for pictures. Regardimg the real spoiler decal, is it possible the mid year change was also to go the foil decal which was correct for all 73's? Either way, we now have an original owner on the record stating 72's got the foil decal, which has been a point of contention around here.
The few 70s and all 71s that got the tall spoiler did get the metal emblem thus although the spoiler is curved as you said, it was accepted procedure at the time.
Any pictures available of your car prior to re-paint?
Wow, pictures before repaint! That happened when I moved to Michigan in 1990 (from Dayton, OH). Long before digital pictures which I have all in one place. It might be a while before I get to digging through those 2 large cardboard boxes of old school printed pictures. I bought my car when I was 18 and back then I worked on it or drove it. I know there aren't many pictures from back then.