Does anyone know how to find production volumes for 1972 Camaros built after the mid-model year change that added the 3 point seat belt system?

oPh

Jan 21, 2022
Late ‘72 model 3 point belts first began showing up in very late Dec ‘71 builds. These were tied in with the fasten seatbelt lamp & small harness (a Federal requirement for Jan 1, 72 assembled US vehicles). On Firebirds, there have even been a few documented examples of fasten seatbelt 160 speedo clusters being installed along with early ‘72 style standard belts in 12D body builds, what I call the “threshhold” time frame. Along that time frame & up to the very latest (a few 04A body builds), the 3 point belts were used. In many years of recording 72 Firebirds in my database, I’ve yet to run across brushed buckle custom seatbelts in a late ‘72 Bird. All have been the molded plastic IRVINs with the (late 72) large emblem female buckles.

One of my keepers is an 03E body built 72 TransAm, original WM coded 455HO, M22, KR’s, AC, unitized, heated rear defrost, dlx black interior. ‘72 Firebird vins end in the very high 529’s, right under N530xxx. Norwood plant also built quite a few Novas during the ‘72 model year. Nova/Venturas have their own set of ”late ‘72 Irvin“ seatbelts. Will throw out since I’m still looking for a few late ‘72 Irvin retractors, none of the X-body retractor assemblies are the same as late ‘72 F-body.

Last edited:

5thTimeAround

Veteran Member
Gold Member
Oct 8, 2020
Calgary, Alberta
Gary,
Thanks! I looked through a printout of that info 4 or 5 times and still missed the production by month. Unfortunately I do not know the change implementation date. I factory ordered my car and the features were a surprise when it showed up at the dealer. Back then I was a GMI co-op student (General Motors Institute now Kettering University) and I was able to get a phone number to call the production scheduling group at Norwood and get the car expedited before the strike hit.

My car is unusual in that it is the THM-400 and Spring Green (a 1972 only GM color) with White stripes and of course the mid-model year changes. Only one time did I ever see another Z-28 wearing the same colors and that was from a distance. View attachment 140371
Beautiful car! I just purchased a 72 SS that was originally Spring Green but was painted red in 2004. I may return it to the original color one day and yours is giving me the inspiration to do so. Mine was made in November 1971 with lapbelts only, of course.

FredWeber

May 5, 2022
Beautiful car! I just purchased a 72 SS that was originally Spring Green but was painted red in 2004. I may return it to the original color one day and yours is giving me the inspiration to do so. Mine was made in November 1971 with lapbelts only, of course.
Scott,

The Spring Green color changes a lot with light and background. There is gold metalic burried in there. It seem to be the contrast that makes it pop. Early on, mine had 4 inch side mount headers painted white and the wheels were also painted white. Before you commit, look for Camaros, Novas or Chevelles in solid if you plan to stay with original paint scheme for a SS (your opinion may change). There are pictures on this site borrowed from the 1972 Camaro sales literature showing a base vehicle in solid Spring Green. But changing it back would be true to the VIN and build tags.

Personally I've always loved it but the white stripes help it pop. With the cost of paint today, it's also an investment.

Let us know if you take the plunge.

Fred

Apr 30, 2015
Southern VA
My 72 Z is a 11D build date and has the early belts and doesn't have the seat belt warning on the lower dash. Can't help on the spoiler decal/emblem though it had been painted so no clue. I always thought the 72s had the foil decal anyway...

Sleeper Z28

Oct 2, 2019
My 72 Z is a 11D build date and has the early belts and doesn't have the seat belt warning on the lower dash. Can't help on the spoiler decal/emblem though it had been painted so no clue. I always thought the 72s had the foil decal anyway...
Not sure on what is being said about the decal. My 72 z28 came off the assembly line with no options. Just a z28. No spoiler and there is a geometry / measurement on the location of the decal on the rear trunk.

70 SS/L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 5, 2005
Rockford, MN
Nothing new here but here's a seat belt pic from my 72 RS/SS 396 car I once owned. Still had the original deluxe interior. It was a 03E car, VIN 165xxx

100_4629.JPG

unrestored72Z

Veteran Member
Feb 17, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Not sure on what is being said about the decal. My 72 z28 came off the assembly line with no options. Just a z28. No spoiler and there is a geometry / measurement on the location of the decal on the rear trunk.
Hello Sleeper, are you stating on your 72Z, there are measurents on the bottom side of the decklid, where the decal was to be located?

Latest posts