Does Anyone Wax Their Car?

RickM

Veteran Member
Apr 16, 2004
Gaithersburg, MD
I am starting to wax my car after it was painted about a year ago. It has been living in my garage with a cover on it. My car is not on the road yet but will be soon (hopefully). Is waxing something everyone still does? Or is it a waste of time with a clear coat paint job. I am using this stuff. For those that do wax what do you use?

1655998916267.png

Smokin'Joe

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Texas
I regularly wax all of my cars, classic and daily drivers, using basically the same Turtle Wax stuff you posted. The wax helps give it better shine, should add some UV protection and helps the water beads up and run off after washing.

Waxing your car would be fine habit to be in.

--

ULTM8Z

Veteran Member
May 19, 2000
Los Angeles
Camaro spends probably 90% of it's time in the garage (weekend cruiser for the most part). I wax it probably once every other year or so.

Paint job is going on 22 years old now and still looks like the day it came out of the paint shop.

mallard

Veteran Member
Oct 3, 2013
SK, Canada
I’ve waxed mine periodically though admittedly not recently. It was painted in’84 and except for a few marks here and there over nearly 38 years it still looks great. Garage kept & under a wolf cover.

fltinstructor

Dec 11, 2016
Channelview TX
^^^^ That's what I use on the newer clear coats. I never wax clear coated paint. It's like waxing windows. :( If you read the owners manuals on newer cars they recommend just a mild soap and a polish not wax. I do clay bar the car once a year to get residue off. You'll be surprised what it takes off even after you just washed it. Using the clay with a detailer spray makes the paint look WET!

TTR230

Veteran Member
Aug 1, 2020
Burlington, Ontario
^^^^ That's what I use on the newer clear coats. I never wax clear coated paint. It's like waxing windows. :( If you read the owners manuals on newer cars they recommend just a mild soap and a polish not wax. I do clay bar the car once a year to get residue off. You'll be surprised what it takes off even after you just washed it. Using the clay with a detailer spray makes the paint look WET!
Lol, I wax windows. I like the way it beads up the water and think the wipers clear better. I guess that's just me! I don't really bother waxing paint though, since I learned that it does nothing to protect paint. Most products seem to have some wax-y properties anyway.

Latest posts