Does my old Race Friend want too much for his parts

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
I sold some pistons to a guy last week and he asked if I had anymore stuff for sale. I told him I have some but a race friend had a lot more and he told the guy what he wanted for the stuff.
Here's what he has,
1 Std 350 1K on short block, steel crank (10-10) stock rods and forged pistons with a mild cam and a new set of .030 pistons as it has some piston slap
1 set of 034 Ported Bowtie heads fresh complete
1 set of 034 Ported Bowtie heads (mine) with 50 passes, a set Crower Stainless Roller rockers
1 RPM Performer intake
1 780 VS Holley rebuild and has the modified sec pickup tube added
1 set of headers
1 7qt. kick out oil pan
1 used Comp 282-S cam and lifters

We quoted him $2300 for everything, do you think that's fair for all this stuff? We told the guy some of this stuff is getting harder to find.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Interesting, he has receipts for almost $900 for the porting alone on his set of heads and that's without the price of his heads. He's got flow sheets and such. So a forged piston short block with hardly any miles is worth nothing these days?

Chevyforever

Veteran Member
Jan 4, 2011
Canada
Respectfully, 1980RS you are always buying parts and pieces for peanuts, so you have a pretty good idea what used part prices are in your area. While it is true some of this stuff is getting harder to find the demand for it is declining as many buyers want newer tech especially in the area of cylinder heads. Used flat tappet cams scare away a lot of people in my experience. Headers are only of value if they are correct for his application in size and chassis fitment. Just my 2 cents on it.

1980RS

Veteran Member
Jun 17, 2006
MN
Respectfully, 1980RS you are always buying parts and pieces for peanuts, so you have a pretty good idea what used part prices are in your area. While it is true some of this stuff is getting harder to find the demand for it is declining as many buyers want newer tech especially in the area of cylinder heads. Used flat tappet cams scare away a lot of people in my experience. Headers are only of value if they are correct for his application in size and chassis fitment. Just my 2 cents on it.

Yup I do and I warned him about the market for stuff like this these days. He is an old circle track guy and if he does not get what he wants he just sits on it. Guy has a ton of stuff from over 30 years of racing, makes my garage look tiny.