Does numbers matching really "matter"?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Connella08, Aug 24, 2020.

Does numbers matching matter on a 1979 Z28?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Other (Please leave a comment below)

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. BillX

BillX New Member

Everyone has posted some great points and opinions. Numbers matching does effect the price if you have a car that is mostly original and if you intend to restore it to original condition and get it judged for originality. Cars that have been judged at Bloomington Gold and awarded a ranking always attain a higher dollar value. All that said, it depends on what you do do with your car. Do you want to to be all original, a reso-mod, or all out super custom show car. It's your choice and your money.

2. BillyDean7173

BillyDean7173 Psychopathy Red

3. MillerMotorsports

MillerMotorsports New Member

I guess I'm old school, I still believe numbers are important and maybe thats because I have a 71 Z28 numbers car. I also agree there is a time coming when appreciative car people (baby boomers) will be gone (look around at the car shows and the age group). Where its headed who knows but the LS trend doesn't excite me and is somewhat of a turn off to us old farts.

4. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

Whoever said that numbers matching doesn't matter, doesn't have a matching car.

carr911 and Rosster like this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

The cars that are popular overseas, especially the Middle East...they want modified cars. They have no qualms spending $100k on a PT car. They are use to high eve cars and they want the old school muscle look with modern performance.

6. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

In my opinion numbers matching will always have it's place, and always yield a premium on a given car, but in some instances (eg: a late second gen Berlinetta done up as a really nice custom build) will also yield a premium over an original car.

I believe the cars where numbers matching are of the most concern are the desirable models like an early Z28 or early big block SS;
    Those cars already require a premium for what it is, and doing such a car right, or better yet leaving it numbers matching is a prudent move.

That being said, I really feel that that an original car in great shape regardless of year or model will over the long term always have a premium that will only be added to if it's numbers matching (over say, correct versus period correct, or numbers correct).

It was pointed out earlier the contrast between a 1970 Z28 versus a 1979 Z28;
    I think that's a fair one to point out because both are great cars in their own right, and although the 1970 will always be worth more, the people paying big money are buying cars that are either built right, or built/left original.

I think for mid 1970's or newer, there is definitely more flexibility on how the car is done;
    you can leave it numbers matching, but have it build with unseen upgrades that increase power ect...

I thin that guy's co-worker is a bit of an idiot.

7. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

lol...that’s not true. If I has a 50k to spend on a 69 Camaro, I would buy one with a LT4 before I would buy an original one. It’s all individual preference. It’s evident...look at PT car sales at the auctions. There is a big following.

moosey3000 likes this.
  8. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

that's fair, and you're entitled to have your opinion.
    although you might place more value on a late model drivetrain swap, when it comes time to sell, odds are you will have trouble recouping money on that same car.

Twenty years ago LT1/TPI swaps were getting big money, now you'ld be hard pressed to get a fraction of that money for the same car - these changed ebb and flow with technology and trends;
    Then again if you paid that same money on an original/correct/numbers car, you're much more likely to get a better return on your investment, because time has shown that "correct" has more mass appeal.

9. bonedoc

bonedoc Member Lifetime Gold Member

there are cars that because of rarity are worth more all numbers matching. Been thru the whole numbers matching on several cars from convertible Camaro big blocks to vettes. But it all depends on what you are wanting. Personally I've had most pleasure going the resto-mod route. Getting the most updated technology with the "old school" look. Some have made comments about LS engine swaps as "bad ", I disagree. Right now there is nothing more reliable that a modern fuel injected power plant. Been driving a 1971 Camaro Rally Sport with 355 crate engine with Pro-M Racing sequential fuel injection, utilizing the O2 sensor, MAP sensors, etc. justl as on an LS engine, BUT hiding under a dual snorkle air cleaner. 95% of people think its carburated. Been driving to the NSRA Street Rod Nationals 450 miles each way for many years with 100% reliability and 23 mpg at 75+ mph, running 3.73 gears and Tremec TKO-6-- 5 speed. So in my humble opinion, if your a driver, go resto-mod

Attached Files:

moosey3000 and Camarokiddave like this.
  10. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

Well if it was a real z28 I’d much rather experience what drivers experienced 50 years ago then just another modified hotrod.