Does numbers matching really "matter"?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Connella08, Aug 24, 2020.

Does numbers matching matter on a 1979 Z28?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Other (Please leave a comment below)

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

There are two points worth noting on that car;
    First it's vin indicates it was a six cylinder car so in my book this was an ideal candidate for customizing.
    Second, the price is going to reflect the level of detail and quality of work put into the car.
    That is inarguably a nice car.

Now as to this:

Sure.
    Now please understand I'm a Firebird guy who also likes Camaros, so I know Firebirds better, and immedately thought of one specific car, and one type that would rival that example;

The specific car i was thinking of was at the Mecum Indy 2020 event;
    https://www.hotcars.com/1972-pontiac-firebird-455-ho-muscle-cars-never-go-out-of-style/
    The circumstance surrounding this cars participation in the event are a bit curious, this is from another forum (these are not my words, but those of three members):
    But here are two examples of cars that are near that example in price (pictures also attached) that I quickly found via google:

Sold for $150k
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0513-154208/1970-pontiac-trans-am-ram-air-iv/
    70LS1M40 Mecum Indy 2013.jpg

Sold for $147.5k
    https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0114-173913/1970-pontiac-trans-am-ram-air-iv/
    70LS1M40 Mecum Kiss 2014.jpg

I have to believe that there are 70-72 Camaro "halo" cars that get up there too like Z28's, L78-396 cars ect, typically Firebirds go for less than their Chevy counterparts.

2. Jodi

Jodi Veteran Member

Hemi 'Cudas, LS6 Chevelles, '69ZL1 Camaro, 427 Cobras, W30 Olds, Stage 1 Buicks...
    List goes on, just a word of caution though... there seems to be more of these amazing cars now than when they were new ;)

[email protected] likes this.
  3. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

6cyl or not, it shows what a customized car can go for. You can’t argue the money that went into it, But if you built a concourse Z28 it would arguably cost just as much. If you took a 70z28 and paid to have it restored, you’re looking at six figures. On top of all that, you’ll invest $100k to restore it and it will only be worth $50-60k. Look at the dollars original parts go for. There’s not a lot of z28s or L78s out there that are not in need of a professional restoration.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
  4. Itsadryheat79

Itsadryheat79 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yes numbers matching matters and as we all know $ to a collector.
    If your not a collector then it might still mean something like not having to listen to a goofball say .... “but it’s not numbers matching“

If it’s old not rare or low mileage and you want to drive it.
    Save the original hard parts, swap responsibly for fun, enjoy it and when your done.
    Have more fun and get a little of that $ back to restore it.

To me it’s ALL about the fun.

5. zbarron

zbarron New Member

To me it isn't an issue, because I opted to turn an affordable $2000 79 Berlinetta with a 305 and auto trans into a 6 speed 6.2 L FI 79 Z clone that I only intend to enjoy for myself. It is for only me, not for reselling according to someone else's criteria that says what it should look like. That being said, if I were an investor I'm sure I would want a #'s matching Z. I think the prices will be relative according to whom and where the car is marketed, the numbers matching car will definitely be worth more to an investor type than a "clone" or non #'s matching car.
    In the end I guess you have to ask yourself, if it is strictly for me then #'s don't matter. Is it an investment, then #'s matter. Good luck with your decision! :)

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

You have to compare apples to apples. Comparing 2 cars that are basically the same (condition, motor type etc.) one being numbers matching, the other not, the numbers matching would almost certainly be worth more. But having a numbers matching car doesn't mean that is has a high value. I have one of those as I'm the original owner of a 78 Z28. I love this car for many reasons, but I'm restoring it as a nicely done PT type build because I want the improvements it will bring as a driver. No LS though. I had the original motor rebuilt (stroked, AL heads, roller cam) and adding EFI. So I'm doing what I want with the car and not worrying about future value because I don't plan to sell it. On the other hand if I had a rare original 69 Z28 or Yenko etc. I would probably leave it stock and pick a lesser value car to modify.

zbarron and DennisG like this.
  7. DennisG

DennisG Member

Like "beauty being in the eye of the beholder" "amazing" depends on what you compare it to.

Perhaps I should have written "unique" as that is closer to my original intent.
    If the list is long, by definition they are too common to be really unique (special).
    An original 1966 GT 40 with documented racing history is special.

Cop cars move along ok, but they are common and not considered special.
    They are too heavy, they seat too many people and the list goes on.

If you get groceries in a car it is not that special. That does not mean that it can't do some things very well.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  8. badazz81z28

Camaro...not firebirds or TAs...look at a 77 TA...way more valuable than a 77 Camaro.

9. badazz81z28

I have to believe that there are 70-72 Camaro "halo" cars that get up there too like Z28's, L78-396 cars ect, typically Firebirds go for less than their Chevy counterparts.[/QUOTE]

I have seen spectacular L78 cars, the rarest of the 70 Camaros and not break the $100k mark. TAs are a different category.

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Would not expect it meaning anything to you.....

Well, I actually had a choice back when I was buying a car for my build....a plain-jane 71 Camaro in solid shape, or an ex race car in rougher shape that so happened to be a 1972 4spd, and in looking at the VIN, I knew the 5th digit would say the engine code, it was an L, it was a Z28, it's like finding an R code Mopar or a 02G Mustang in the wrecking yard...back in the early 90's this was a cool find.

I'd pick the low production/performance optioned chassis if given the choice. And the fact that 1972 was the fist year you could get a white interior and a 4.10 gear, and the last year of the solid lifter cam/high rise and Holley carb, it just made it easy, even though I knew I was never going to restore to original.

[email protected] and xten like this.