Does numbers matching really "matter"?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by Connella08, Aug 24, 2020.

Does numbers matching matter on a 1979 Z28?

1. Yes

35 vote(s)
    56.5%
  2. No

24 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. Other (Please leave a comment below)

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, there was a time, (perhaps there still is) that US collectors liked and sought after the Canadian imported cars as GM of Canada(at least) kept all the historic records and paper work, that would positively confirm the cars heritage, build options and importation numbers as a comparative based on the import and total production VIN records of the year. That would be especially helpful if the build sheet could not be found.

Maybe your due for a new prescription.

AEGIS43 likes this.
  2. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

I don't know....what support for this statement do you have?

3. AEGIS43

AEGIS43 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My 2 cents, probably already stated and I just missed it in the posts above, is that an all original '79 is less of a big deal than an all original 1970-73. But I do believe that to most potential buyers, if the car is really very nice, no rust, and has its original drivetrain and original interior (or presents as original), it is very likely to command a higher sale price than one with a motor change, and especially if there are other modifications. A lot higher price than an equally nice car with a different than what came with engine? I doubt it. And I'm not recommending one way or the other. Just sayin.

4. Brett Liukkonen

Brett Liukkonen New Member

As many have replied, there are a few different answers. Yes, numbers matching is very important in many cases, but not all. If it's very original, if it's rare, if it's low production numbers, if it's highly optioned etc. The actual value of any given car is still based upon the car, (as in KBB) it's originality, it's mileage etc. If you were to go get a traditional loan to buy one, they still value the car starting from there. In most cases from that standpoint, the "upgrades" often detract from the actual value (LS motor, Tubbed, aftermarket suspension). Typically in this case you don't recoup the cost of the aftermarket parts.

Now, if you take a base model (as mentioned in many replies) and upgrade everything and are doing a purpose built Restomod, Autocross, Track Car or even just a Street Cruiser. Then you are adding perceived value. Being a base model with less value, many are looking to these to build the car they would have ordered or have been dreaming of. You have a specific market who would be buyers and would pay for the upgrades to an extent. You take a 79 Z28 350/4-speed with a few nice options and do the same mods (some of which may be permanent) you have now eliminated some of the market that would want to but the Z28. You have to find that specific buyer who would do the car the same way you would or close enough. To some it lowers the value as to what they are looking for in a Z28, to others in makes it more appealing and increases the value.

So I would say he's speaking broadly, of a small cross section of the market and didn't take into account all the variables such as originality, how rare the car may be etc. I would agree with you that indeed numbers matching is still very important and that his broad generalization is vague at best and not really comparing apples to apples. All Camaro's are not the same. His statement seems a little naive in general.

Now granted, I'm one of those guys who values the right upgrades and hunt for that when buying a new toy or project. But Selling the same, it's harder to find just the right buyer. And if I'm building something it's not rare or collectable to start with.

5. flht99b

flht99b Veteran Member

The world of driving is far different than the 40 to 50 years that have past since these cars were "common". Gas is different by composition, speed limits are higher which normally requires better brakes and there is a boat load more traffic. Original, numbers matching with reams of documentation cars that are just shown and rarely driven are unique and great conversation piece's. Then there is the nostalgia enthusiast that drives his classic car to shows, those cars are fun for the owner and more often than not, not original numbers matching specimens. Then there is the enthusiast that drives his or her 50 year old car often great distances in today's world. These folks started the resto mod, pro touring cars we see quite often today. They have no need or desire for number matching and originality. Instead, functionality is top of the list. Of the 2 HRPT's I've participated, I can only remember one totally stock, original car doing the long haul, and it was a 58 Impala. This is a hobby, pick what interests you and build your car to suit your needs and desires. Value is immaterial when building a museum piece to a full on 6 figure pro touring rig and every version in-between. My choice was stock appearing inside and out but with enough modern day technology to participate in today's world on the road.

79RedZ and G72Zed like this.
  6. Zebus28

Zebus28 Member

Excuse my newbieness. I have a 1981 Camaro Z28. I have not swapped out the motor, trans, or rear, they are the originals. I have modded the motor with aftermarket carb, intake lifters, carb, headers, exhaust, fuel pump and distributor/coil. Plus I upgraded the anti-sway bars front and rear, and replace the front coils and rear leaf springs. The interior is original with replaced head liner, carpet and package tray using aftermarket replacements. The it was repainted with close to original color and a OEM strip package was put on.

Sooooo, does this mean my car is numbers matching and worth any more or less?

7. AEGIS43

AEGIS43 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

If the VIN stamp on the front left corner of your block matches the car’s VIN (if they still stamped it there in late 1980-81, I’m not sure), then yes, you still can claim numbers matching. Did you put wider wheels and tires on it?

8. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

# matching usually refers to the drive-train. Engine/Trans/Rearend. Being all original is not messed with (your car would not be considered all origonal) but is #s matching

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Veteran Member

The VIN would not be stamped on the block in 1981.

10. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Well, that pretty much sums it up right there ^^^^