Does this valvetrain geometry look ok?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by fstarocka, Jan 22, 2021.

1. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Thanks for the advice - fwiw Im using comp beehive springs and matching retainers that give 0.050 extra lift, this will help combat the 60 thou spring locators I need to reach the 1.8 install height-

Head providers did spec 0.100 longer valves work well (incl pushrods) so I ordered both - the geometry checker looks perfect but I will recheck the 90 degree method - I couldnt draw the imaginery line on the stamped style rockers anyway - .. As mentioned I have ordered comp magnum rockers and will use my old shim head gasket to have it all as it will be run with the new rockers and check everything over again -

I managed to free up my seized comp pushrod checker so its easy to turn now (red loctite across the board!)

sandlapper likes this.
  2. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Looks good, like mentioned, check at mid lift. Sometimes a compromise must be accepted between the "mid lift" theory and the "low pivot" or a close combination that lands in the acceptable middle range.

sandlapper and fstarocka like this.
  3. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

Pattern looks quite wide. Try this.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  4. hd_cat

hd_cat Veteran Member

The pushrod length looks good based on the tool, where are your pushrod guide plates? Or are you using self-aligning rockers? The difference in cost from the roller tip, to the full-roller rockers isn't worth the risk IMO, buy the hardened pushrods, proper guide plates, and full roller rockers, you'll be happier with the durability versus the potential for misalignment as the rocker cycles. The ball-socket of the rocker is not nearly as secure as a roller fulcrum rocker, consider the 1.6:1 ratio too, free valve lift, usually less expensive than 1.5:1 rockers. Good luck with it, the difference is less than $300, depending upon which brand components you choose, buying the better components is insurance!

Attached Files:

fstarocka likes this.
  5. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Thats what I did, set of 7/16 high energy comp full roller rockers and arp studs on their way. Guideplates arrived yesterday and hardened push rods already here-

Finished the port matching on the heads today - found a amazon deal on the rockers for $100 so very happy about that - they arrive Sat then I will do my final checks -

6. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

You do realize those blue plastic checkers aren't worth the plastic they are made of, right?

7. Rosster

Rosster Veteran Member Gold Member

I can’t believe an $.15 injection molded piece of plastic is 13 bucks

77 cruiser likes this.
  8. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sometimes in the SBC it's tough getting the "mid lift" with a typical RR and stud arrangement. Rocker shafts address this, and even then, it's sometimes a blend of both theories.

9. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Ok - did some checking and got some whacky results..

Set cam lobe at mid lift, installed rocker, at 90 degrees the roller is waaay off the on the tip of the valve stem at 90 degrees to the valve..

What gives?

This is the width of the wear pattern currently (7.250 rods) and the 1.6 rockers as is.. the wear pattern is out - slightly on the outside.

[​IMG]

Now doing the 90 degree check at mid lift: (this is where it gets whacky)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

No threads to get poly lock on??
    [​IMG]

Roller tip way too far - no pushrod can make up this, is it because these are 1.6 instead of 1.5's?
    [​IMG]

Issues with my 90 degree/mid lift check-
    [​IMG]

10. 1320feet

1320feet Veteran Member

Looks to me as the valve is closed. It should be half open as well.
    Your locks look messed up. I prefer machined locks over the stampped ones.