Does this valvetrain geometry look ok?

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by fstarocka, Jan 22, 2021.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good points by 1320feet.

I will add, the +.100 longer valve is adding to the issue as the tip is now closer to the stud center-line.

Also, although a great video on the "Mid lift theory" and attaining it's geometry, it's a BBC, your working on a SBC, with a stud mount arrangement, and this generally favors the "low pivot" option.

Crower do make .090 backset trunion RR for this setup. I think they are not cheap at $380 for a set of 8. So get out your wallet on that one for sure.

The last thing I buy is the push rods as you do not know what length you need until it's all assembled. And use your real springs for final checks and patterns.

fstarocka likes this.
  2. 77 cruiser

77 cruiser Veteran Member

You can try the maker method & trying different PR lengths till you find the narrowest pattern.

3. fstarocka

fstarocka Member

Ok i finally managed to get it done RIGHT! pattern is TINY, like 45 thou. I needed longer rocker studs and all is good! Im very happy - upgraded to 3/8 pushrods at the same time. Ill use the 5/16 parts for my milder 400hp 350 build -

4. sandlapper

sandlapper Veteran Member

[​IMG]

5. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Good to hear this news that it's worked out for you in the end, .045 width pattern is nice, and the jump to the larger 3/8 diameter pushrods has no downsides other than fitment in some cases, but it's worth it.