Does this VIN tag look as wrong to you as it does to me?

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
I've always seen the VIN tags with raised letters, not ever embossed like the one below.

1655124430763.png

Twisted_Metal

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Gold Member
Feb 26, 2004
Bloomington, MN
Those characters are raised.

It's lighting perspective... An optical illusion of "embossed" rather than raised.

Count the "bumps" in each pic.

1655127464048.png

It's the same picture... Flipped.

Last edited:

2ndOwner78

Veteran Member
Nov 6, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I seriously thought you all lost you mind....then I saved the picture and flipped it upside down. What the hell......

This probably has some much deeper meaning as it pertains to how people view things, which I really don't care about..... :)

VIN_flipped.png

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Oh that's just plain crazy...after reading the replies, I saved the pic and started rotating it. It even looks visually correct on it's side.

I'm just glad to know I'm not going as batty as my wife would lead me to believe I am!

70 SS/L78

Veteran Member
Lifetime Gold Member
May 5, 2005
Rockford, MN
It looked raised to me right away. But I know what you mean, sometimes things can appear to look different than they really are.

80WA7113

Veteran Member
May 22, 2002
Indianapolis, IN
Oh WTH! I looked at this again this morning and they look correct! When I first looked at this I showed my wife. She agreed that the letters look stamped, not raised. Now this morning they look raised to me. I showed my wife again and she says they looked stamped to her. That's nuts!

I sure hope when I'm driving I don't "perceive" a continuous stretch of road in front of me when really it's a canyon.

Gary S

Administrator
Lifetime Gold Member
Apr 14, 1999
Bismarck, North Dakota
Take a drive up in the Rocky Mts. Sooner or later you will find a stretch of road that you think is level, but can't figure out why your car is working so hard on level ground.
Then, pull over and look at the road behind you and you will see that is downhill behind you and you have been climbing all the time making your engine work harder.
Things aren't always what they seem to be at first look.

Latest posts