Don't cut your floor board for a spun cage nut

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by Caveman Tiny, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Caveman Tiny

Caveman Tiny Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I installed PTFB solid body bushings in my 1980 Z28 this weekend. I sprayed the bolts with PB Blaster for several days before I started the project. When I started breaking the bolts loose I had 3 spun cage nuts. The first one was position 2 (under firewall) on the passenger side. On the driver side, 2 and 3 (rear of sub frame) were spun. I've read several posts where people have had to cut their floor boards to access the cage nut. I found a solution that worked on my car. For the bushings at position 2, I removed the front wheels and inner fender wells. There is a square opening that allows access to the cage nut. I used a medium size C clamp to press the cage back down. The bolt came out easily.

[​IMG]

Cage nut:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The position 3 was even easier. There is an oval shaped hole outboard of the bushing in the square shaped part of the body. I could feel the cage and nut with one finger. I was able to get a small C clamp into the hole and press down on the cage nut flange. The bolt then came out easily.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm not sure if this has been posted before or if the early 2nd Gen's have this same opening. I hope this helps someone out.

Flyingkiwi likes this.
  2. wayback

wayback Veteran Member

That's awesome! I don't recall seeing your solution before. Next time I'm under the car I'll take a peek at those rear access points.

Thanks for sharing the idea!

:)

3. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Not that I needed to do this, still is great news there is a better way. Awesome

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

When I removed mine, I simply ground off the heads of the bolts with an angle grinder and the broken cage nuts pretty much fell out.

5. bsievers1616

bsievers1616 Veteran Member

Cool, thanks for this trick. I'll be attempting it this weekend.

6. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Wow,you learn something new every day. I have been building these turds for over 20 years and never thought of that. Even better yet might be to do it before you even try to loosen the nuts,it would offer even more advantage. Thanks for the trick,I hope I remember it the next time I have this problem.

7. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

This IS the tip of the day. I read a post about once a month on other boards about spin nuts. I will now link them to this thread.

8. Hoot

Hoot Veteran Member

1 1/8 wrench fits on the #2 one, at the firewall. thats how i got those loose. I did have fenders and such off though. the c clamp is a great idea though. Thanks for sharing.

9. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Don't believe that I've seen this C-clamp idea posted on NastyZ before....thanks for the tip.

10. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Awesome tip! I have to replace my bushings and I've been putting it off until I could get a MIG machine in case I had to cut the floor.