Door alignment

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by simso, Sep 27, 2020.

1. simso

simso Veteran Member

Folks, anyone got any links or tips and tricks for aligning doors and gaps etc

Got a new set of door hinges and bolts, just starting the re-fitment / assembly of all my car panels

i dont have rear quarters on my car but want to start aligning and jigging allthe front end up tofit said quarter panels

Ideally where should the front edge of my door line up with

steve

2. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Equal Opportunity Offender Lifetime Gold Member

You'll want the rear quarters in first because there is no adjustment on those once they're welded in. Doors and fenders are both adjustable panels. Doors get mounted and adjusted to the rear jam and striker...and body line of course. Get your gap where you want. Front fenders should go last...and you try to match the gap width of the door to quarter.

3. CaliCamaro75

CaliCamaro75 Veteran Member

Yea Golden hit all the points!!
    +1 ^^

4. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

If the car has no quarters, I wouldn’t even hang the doors. Work on the quarters lol...

giggity likes this.
  5. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

ok your front lower door should line up with front leading edge of rocker ,bottom of door should have even gap length wise with rocker. it should fit flush with outer surface at bottom length wise if your doors are good original rebuild hinges and hang they also should fit in line with windshield pillar in and out.its all relevant,but yes you can build without 1/4s just not a fun way to go. by the way i have a very low opinion of import sheet metal. i have used enough over the years. take your time asking questions good. if you get the doors right it will help with the 1/4s if you find NOS they are the best but very expensive but remember time is money and depending on skill set and tools could get frustrated , have fun, bought mine in 08 not done yet getting there .i would not worry about fenders yet . if you hang 1/4s and weld in and have problems aligning doors maybe because 1/4s are not right sounds like fun, have been in body and paint for 45 years do hinges and hang doors right then 1/4s when you do 1/4s don't forget about decklid gap and rear filler (tail) get body first fenders last.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  6. hubedobeedo

hubedobeedo 3rd times a charm

ye its like that been there done that

Attached Files:

7. Scott51

Scott51 Veteran Member

Do everything Hubedo said. Align your doors to the rockers, jamb and A pillars (in that order) and do it with glass in them.

8. 76 for 26

76 for 26 Member

Hey Hubedo, I’m currently reinstalling rocker panels and quarters next. Did you do everything in a jig? Mine is currently on one (r&r floor, intermediate, and trunk pans and firewall) and was contemplating putting it back on wheels to install front end sheet metal due to damage making it hard to ensure body line and proper rocker fitment. Thoughts?

9. simso

simso Veteran Member

Thanks for all the replys, i will take everything on board, im going to pay someone to fit the rear quarters, i just want to get the rest of the car assembled first to make their life hopefully easier

steve

10. simso

simso Veteran Member

Whats a good gap size to shoot for between the bottom of the door and rocker panel