Door and fender gaps on a 73

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by shaggyzr2, Mar 10, 2021.

1. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im not. It was just up when I took the picture. I have welded in subframe connectors, so flex should be at a minimum, but still doing it on the ground

2. Allison Winn

Allison Winn Member

My bad on the .120! It was .220" ish. Memory ain't workin 20210316_204040.jpg

3. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

As been said, shoot for 3/16 to 1/4 (.187-.250) when all said and done. If it's bare metal, used some bright green masking tape on the gaps to give you a good visual for gap width consistency, and it will add the mil thickness for the paint.

If you want to tighten things up some, I use .125 on the door/quarter, .190 door & hood to front fenders and hood to header comes in around .220/.250 or so.

Always start with the door to quarter/rocker and then move forward.

You should always make sure you have the door seals in place and do the paper test or grease/Vaseline to make sure you have a full contact seal with the inner door opening structure, and no binding should you get greedy moving the door shells back. Putting on new door skins allows this alignment to be tweaked a lot easier, not so much when the skins are on.

Hope this helps you out.

4. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

You will not close up those door/top of fender gaps easily, the fender tops need to be reshaped for the most part. And your right, you need a good metal/body man, the magic that they will use will include body hammers/dollies/metal file/MIG and 1/8 steel rod, then watch the magic happen.

I have GM fenders/hood/door and I had to play magician as well, minus the 1/8 welding rod.
    IMG_0717 (002).jpg

giggity likes this.
  5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

Yeah, perfect will take welding, shaping and filling.

6. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Im looking for close. Car is by far going to be perfect. I want it to look good.