Door crash bars?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by newschool72, Dec 8, 2013.

1. newschool72

newschool72 Veteran Member

Is it possible to remove the crash reinforcement bars from my 72s doors without removing the glass or pulling the door off the car? Im trying to loose some weight on my car, and the crash bars are about the last thing I can do. I put new side glass in the car last year and it was a 3 month process to get it all lined up, LOL, and I don't want to go through that mess again. Ive heard the bars weigh 18lbs. Is that each or total for both sides?

2. stroked383

stroked383 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

You don't want to take the crash bars out, They help keep you safe in a side impact collision, god forbid.

3. onelapduster

onelapduster Veteran Member

Leave em in. Unless you have a strickly track only car that sees zero sreet time.

4. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

+1 and its not just side impact protection.

5. newschool72

Yall are right. Im just trying to trim all the weight I can, but not at the cost of safety. I was looking through the search function and saw where a guy had a set of plexi windows made, that worked with all the regulator and weather stripping stuff. He had those made. Do any of you know of an outfit that does that, as in a company that stocks them . I don't want to pay someone to custom build $$$ a set, LOL.

6. 496z28

496z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

My guess would be to PM that individual and see where he sourced them from..

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

I would only remove the crash bars if you have a roll bar/cage with properly installed side bars. As for lexan windows,my friend builds super high end show cars and race cars of that level,and he just put fiberglass doors on a Chevelle(non post car) and installed lexan windows that go up and down in the fiberglass doors. I think you will always need a metal framework to rivet the window to since all lexan is just flat sheets that needs to be screwed into place to bend. He installed the lexan on the factory tracks,and used window regulators from a Ford Aerostar Van. Supposedly they are just a cable that wraps around a crank that pulls the window up and down. He says they are saluminum (light) and cheap to buy. You would never guess that the car he did had glass doors,it is black and you can clearly see things hundreds of feet away in the reflection. You will still need a visble framework to rivet /screw the lexan to so that it maintains a curve.

Good luck.

8. newschool72

The post I saw on the plexi windows said the guy poured molten plexi over the original widows with a release agent to separate it once it cooled. He claimed the windows worked with all the standard glass hardware. Interesting idea, I just wondered if anyone had started doing it a business.

9. 77nomad

77nomad Veteran Member

I worked in injection molding for the better part of ten years. I dont think you would ever be able to pour plastic out on a surface and get uniform thickness. I could see using something like LRader did with his tail lights and creating a true mold. But still it would have to be pressurized to pack the mold and get the thing to truely be clear. Plus you would be transferring every little pit in the glass to your mold. I did head lights for GM for a while. The molds were finely polished works of art. Also built from tool steel. Then clamped at 1200 tons and injected at a specific speed and pressure and then held at that pressure for a given amount of time to allow the plastic to cool without shrinking in weird places. I say no way unless it was done the right way. A tool, a press, and a screw and barrel to inject the stuff.

You can get a sheet of Lexan (not plexiglass) from summit or where ever and use a window as a template. Then heat it carefully while it sits on top of the window. It will bend to the shape of the glass. Let it cool and it will hold its shape but still you will need to build a frame to hold it. It may work if thick enough. I did the heat trick with the windshield on my Nova.

What ever you do dont use plexiglass (polycarbonate sheet). It scratches easy and get hazy. Lexan is more pliable and even bullet proof at about 1/2". Sorry if I'm coming off like a know it all. I wasnt trying to but the pouring plastic thing sounds ridiculous if you have ever seen how fast it sets and how thick it is. Plastic doesnt pour at all really.

10. newschool72

I saw it on this forum by doing a search on door bar removal, but I know absolutely nothing about working with plastics, so I thought I would ask. It looks like Im done with weight removal for now. Its fairly light for a full interior car with AC, PS, big power brakes, sway bars, etc. With a half tank of fuel it weighs 3260 without fat boy on board.