Door, fender and hood alignment. Shoot me now!

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by reinhardt79, Mar 1, 2016.

1. reinhardt79

reinhardt79 Veteran Member

It is time to get the gaps tamed. I have tried in the past, but gave up in frustration. I know the order of adjustment: door then fender then hood.

But what adjustment does what? Anyone got a good instructional video? Thanks all. I'm catching hell trying to understand this process.

2. zachary8

zachary8 Veteran Member

Step away from the car. Find someone who knows what they are doing. Serious issues could arise. That stuff is voodoo. Just my humble opinion.

3. MartyO

MartyO Veteran Member

Truer words have never been spoken.

4. Rust eater

Rust eater Veteran Member

Patience and trial and error will make it happen for you. Tape all of your edges in case anything bumps together. First thing to do though is make sure your subframe is right. If its off nothing will line up. And be realistic. It takes more than just adjustments to get those 3/16 gaps all around.

5. reinhardt79

I perform all of my own stunts. I have had the car torn down to the frame rails in the past. Just finished welding in the floor pans. Mechanical and structural work is easy for me. It's the pretty work that is hell for me. There is no paint to worry about scratching. The only thing I have to loose is my mind. Possibly some hair as I rip it out.

6. reinhardt79

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTgevVs85qI

I found this video. He skips over the basics to emphasize the modification of door and quarter to get the perfect gaps. I'm actually looking for the basics. I'm looking for driver quality gaps. Not looking for precision here. Anyone got a good video squirreled away showing the most basic principles of adjustment? Body work baffles me.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Get the door on, don't put in the door strikers yet. Open the door just enough to be able to lift the bottom of it with a bottle jack. Loosen the door bolts now line up the body lines but go a little higher with the door. Kind of trial & error but maybe 3/8 higher than the quarter panel body line.Tighten door bolts & don't over tighten them, like maybe 25 ft. lbs. If your Camaro is a 79 I'm guessing you should put the bumper cover on next, but first measure the hood bumpers first (the bolts with the rubber stopper things on then ) Check that they are square. Measure in an X pattern. If not square adjust the rad support. Bumper cover on kind of loosly . Now fenders. Just finger tight most of the bolts. No adjustments for the front 2 bolts. Put the wheel wells in now just loosly, do not bolt them to the fenders. You adjust the way the fenders sit by using shims. Did you leave the shims in stack order? They never seem to go back on the same way anyhow. But kind of quickly cause I gotta go the bolt inside the door where the hinge is, is for pulling or pushing the fender. The bolt next to the hood hinge is for bending/bowing the fender in & out, along with the 2 bolts at the bottom of the fender. These 2 at the bottom can be used to twist the fender also. The one on the fire wall works with the bolt inside the door. I gotta go now but also know when you think you got it perfect what till you put the hood on!!!! Also just walk away when it starts to get to you..

8. BP80Z28

BP80Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have walked away from mine for 5 months after pure frustration. The worst part is it all lined up before paint now it doesn't. Ill be back it soon to get and then repaint it all together. Live and Learn

9. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Kind of like hanging sheetrock is easy and anyone can do it. Taping the sheetrock on the other hand...isn't everyone's bag of tea for sure.

Nobody can see the gap difference when they're in your rear-view mirror. :)

10. Rustbucket350

Rustbucket350 Veteran Member

I lined up the rear of the doors, then the rear part of the fenders to the front of the doors. Mine is an 80 so I left the core support and the front fender bolts loose while loosely fitting the bumper. With the front loose, I booted the hood loosely and shoved everything around until I was happy. The fenders may need to be stretched with shims at the top and bottom as well. The rocker gaps will kind of just be what they are.