Door Glass - AMD vs. NPD vs. OER vs. Ground Up?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Kris g, Jul 10, 2014.

1. Kris g

Kris g Veteran Member

After reading 80 threads on the subject there seems to be no clear consensus.

I need to buy door glass in the next week or so and have had nearly zero luck finding good tinted original Glass.

Those of you who have purchased lately, where did you get it and how did it fit/look?

Has anyone used the "new" AMD glass? It is the best price so I am wondering on quality. Both sides are about $235 shipped.

I have to make an order from ground up, has anyone used their glass?

Is NPD still the best bet?

2. fixjets777

fixjets777 Member

I just installed OER side glass on my 71, and it fit perfect

3. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

NPD has been the "Go To" for Glass for quite some time. GroundUp has good customer service and there is a good chance that both are obtaining glass from the same place at this point.

They are all super secretive about where they source the glass from, but there are only about three viable options really.

4. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Also,Rick from NPD mentioned to me on the phone once that they were going to be switching glass suppliers a few years ago,directly after I had received the dreaded rear glass which fit perfectly.IDK if that ever happened or not,but its looking like a roll of the dice to be honest.
    I would go with the company thats going to cover you on returns,AND return shipping if the pieces don't fit correctly.
    BTW,I ordered two sides and a rear glass,all in clear,all fit great,but I have the clouds inside my rear glass sometimes.

5. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Where did you buy it?

6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I haven't purchased any glass in the last 3 years but at that time it was all coming from overseas and possibly from the same place? None of it is as good as the original but that supply has all been dried up for a few years.
    I purchased mine from 'Auto City Classic' as have many other people I know. They stock it in tinted form and also do Date Coding at their location.
    Mine fit just fine! Where the problem comes in on the repro glass is the curvature, it's not exactly correct, the outside window sweep doesn't conform evenly from front to back. There seems to be a slight flat spot in the center of the door glass so the window sweep tends to flatten out slightly when the window is in the up position.

https://www.autocityclassic.com/

7. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

8. CDesperado

CDesperado Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Arent they just re-selling glass like everyone else? There are only a handful of actual manufacturers I think. It's been a few years since I researched anything though.

9. krabben1

krabben1 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

IDK,but my big thing when I was looking for rear glass was the outer bends.They were too shallow on a lot of rear glass.
    In fact,Mark(my painter,member here)had given me a ppg glass when he painted the car and it was wrong.The tell are the huge finger gaps between the glass and trim in the upper corners.
    Im really not sure how many manufacturers there are.Maybe it was just a bad run that was in the market,and now they've been gone thru.IDK.
    Customer service in any event is the key.

10. 76_TypeLT

76_TypeLT Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

do you think there is any reason to look for original glass? I am curious if fitment is enough of an issue with OEM glass to look for original glass. I actually found some excellent condition door glass but will still need the front and rear windshields.