Door jamb label.

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by john Gialanella, Jan 12, 2021.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

We printed the VIN door labels in 1975 on mainframe impact printers. By 75 when I started FT, they were white and black and I was printing them for the car and truck plants down the street from our data centre.

A member and I worked together on mine back in the early 2000 cause he had his label and a color printer.

Once printed you need to cut out the excess blue and keep 1/16” blue on the outer edge all around using an exacto or razor utility knife blade and round the corners off with a corner cutter. Then you’ll need to buy the Avery white sticky back paper from Staples along with a roll of 2” clear packing tape. The factory clear is 1-7/8” x 4” long. For the tape I would stick it on wax paper then make your rounded corners. It may be easier to stick the clear on the label first, then peel the paper backing off then stick both label and clear on the door together.

Why, cause it was hard as heck when your 6’2” to crouch down and stick the tape on hoping not to F it up while your twitching from the thought of screwing it up.

Corel Draw 8 doesn’t start with Win 10 so I have access on my Tower PC which has Win XP.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Just saw your link from Yenko... Interesting, this is the 1st time I've heard of them being imprinted from the POP. I've been under the impression that they were always typed?

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

We need to remember that each assembly plant did things a bit different. Neither Norwood or LA appear to have used the suffix codes on their door decals. Other plants around the country possibly did. From what I can see from original decals, both Norwood and LA seem to have typed the information on theirs.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

True that one James posted was from a Corvette and St Louis did do things a bit differently.

5. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

I found this a neat discussion;
    I knew these were missing from my car when I bought it in 1995, and at some point in the early 2000's I bought a kit to make these for my car - it came with a template, and gave pretty clear instructions on how to finish it - and to this effect, I have a typewriter put aside for just this job!

I was wondering, and it's relative to this discussion, are there many original 1970 Norwood cars that still have their stickers?

6. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

I still have my original Norwood doors and the sticker is still there.

7. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

IMG_5634.jpg
    Here is mine.

70RamAirIII likes this.
  8. 70RamAirIII

70RamAirIII Pontiac-aholic

thank you very much!!!
    I'm saving this picture as a reference - mine is a "6/70" car too!!

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

LA cars used a - between the month and yr and the text differs from Norwood.

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

COPO is correct. LA used different font, and also on an LA tag, the 6/70 would be 06-70