Door lock trouble

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by TTR230, Aug 13, 2020.

1. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Was unlocking the drivers side door when the lock stuck in the unlock position. I can't budge the key at all. I pulled the door panel off, but can't see anything obviously wrong. it was a new key, but it worked fine before. Any thoughts? The key is completely stuck. The inner and outer door handles work, but the lock knob inside is stuck in the up position.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

It sounds like a problem with the pins internal to the lock cylinder.

With the door panel off... You should be able to see the clip which holds the cylinder to the door skin.

Remove the clip/rod from the lock pawl and pull the clip to release the cylinder from the door.

Once you have the cylinder out, you should be able to determine if the rest of the lock mechanism in the door is working correctly.

You might have to replace the cylinder if you find no other problems with the door lock/latch mechanism. :(
    It's not a very difficult job and the price is reasonable for a new, complete set. (Doors, glove box and trunk)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Door-T...086415?hash=item5216b20f8f:g:SMQAAOSwKSlcO3NS

3. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Okay, I managed to pull the lock cylinder and everything is otherwise fine. If I can't get this key out, I'll just do some new locks. Thanks for the help.

4. Vettenick

Vettenick Vettenick

There might be a burr on the key that causing it to hang up. You could try some graphite lock liquid to see if it helps. Another option to replacing all of the locks is to have that cylinder repaired by a locksmith. They will match your key, this way you keep your keys, and the other door doesn't have to be replaced. I would also wire brush that key to round the edges.

5. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

I always wire brush new keys. Except this time. I'm not sure that's the problem though. Playing around with the lock, the key popped out with the lock still in the 90• unlock position. When I tried the original key, the lock still wouldn't budge. A problem with the pins, I guess. Now to find a locksmith.

6. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

I would just change the locks .If they are originals its just normal wear and tear.

7. TTR230

TTR230 Veteran Member

Okay, I figured it out. After lots of frustration with trying to find a locksmith, I decided to take the lock apart myself. After prying the metal face off (mine was an aftermarklock and therefore it was held in place by bent tabs instead of a fully peened(?) Over cover). I'm not sure one can reuse that cover once that cover has been peeled off on an OEM one, the aftermarket one went right back on. Anyway, I finally got the key out by jiggling ruthlessly with it. With the key out and the decorative cover off, the guts popped right out. I discovered that the spring retainer, which is just held in with a bit of friction, had popped out a bit and was snagging on the inside of the lock body. I pushed it back down and punched each end down with a very fine punch. Just enough to hold it in place. So far, so good! It's all very obvious once the lock is apart.

As an alternative, if you can't disassemble the lock without damage, Or irreversibly mangle the decorative face plate, hang on to the lock and use your existing tumblers to rekey a new one. My worry was having to replace all of the locks so they'd have one key. Many sellers have pairs cheap. Pm me if you have any questions. It's an easy fix, once you stop panicking, lol!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2020